NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Revelation sct crayford dual focuser

Mal

Bought one of these from Telescope house, on opening the box it looked bigger than I expected. Tried turning the focusing knob very sloppy :shock: would only work when horizontal when slightly tilted would just fall down and that's without an eyepiece in it. On inspection four screws were lose and after playing about with them and two other grub screws manage to get the mechanism tight enough to hold it's weight and a camera and move up and down even when vertical. Not what expecting something costing £119 :police: if I'd known this would have waited to save enough pennies for a moonlite focuser from FLO, now have to wait and see if viewing is made any easier now as it took so long to tighten it for it to work properly. Might still send it back.

Certainly doesn't sound right to me!

Send it back and either get your money back and save up for the other from FLO or get a replacement. Ask them to check the replacement personally before sending it out.

It's something should happen on all replacement goods IMO - but rarely does. (Not talking about TH here, just in general)

Ant

I've had one of these. It was fine.

Underneath the focusser, in the centre of the 4 screws you mention, there should be a sunken hex key head. Turning this tightens or slackens the action. You can get the focusser to hold any weight you want.

The 4 screws should not have been slack though!

MD

I've had one of these. It was fine.

Underneath the focusser, in the centre of the 4 screws you mention, there should be a sunken hex key head. Turning this tightens or slackens the action. You can get the focusser to hold any weight you want.

The 4 screws should not have been slack though!

MD

Manage to sort it all out now by gradually tightening the four screws and then tightening two hex key grub screws checking if it could hold the weight, if not then slackened the two hex screws and tightened the four screws a bit repeated until it would hold weight.

Some instructions with the focusser showing how you adjust it would have been useful wouldn't it?

Mind you when I got the HEQ5 mount there were no instructions with it and I had to download them from the web. It seems to be par for the course these days!

MD

Interesting thread - I was wondering about the Revelation SCT Crayford-style focusser. Certainly a lot cheaper than the Moonlite (even from Steve) and so much easier to "sell" to SWMBO.

I had almost decided to go for one - but am not so sure now - perhaps I ought to think about a Moonlite from FLO (???).

Any thoughts on the Revelation vs Moonlite, Guys? Is the Moonlite that much better? OR is the Revelation not well made?

Tom

Now that its all working and managed use it last night, it worked well made focusing on Jupiter and four of its moons easier no image shift. Would of helped with some instructions on setting up as MD said.

• 6 years later...

Thanks for your post moondog. I took delivery of a used one of these focusers today and had the same problem as mal. Rather than just try and adjust everything in sight I googled the problem and came upon this thread. Thanks to your post it is now all up and working. Your post has saved me a lot of messing around, many thanks. Where would we all be without SGL?!

Archived