Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Atik 428EX CCD Camera

FLO

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So basically, it's a 285, only much more so in pretty much every respect?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)

While I was looking at some of the info, there was another Sony Exview HAD chip that looked interesting, a 6mp one.

Thanks Ian. How does that compare to the other cameras?

I can't recall exactly but the dynamic range is similar for the new atik cameras (I would suggest that they are based on the same architecture). The dynamic range for the 285 chips does appear to be considerably better as they have about a three time greater well depth. The smaller the pixel the worse the well depth. The main Kodak chips in the main still appear to have better dynamic range again, but they have higher noise and less sensitivity especially the non blooming ones. In terms of mid size chip still think I prefer the 285 chip as a general use camera but these new cameras seem to be targeted at low focal length users like hyper star. Just wish sony would make a larger 285 chip!

There is ICX694ALG - bigger. Something for a 2013 camera at best. There are also CMOS sensors (CMOSIS 4000 or insane 10000 x 7096 of CHR70M) - they aren't as good as ICX285 but they are big and very big :) I wonder when such sensor will land in a DS camera.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All set up, just hit "Capture Series" on the first 10 minute exposure.

I have gone for something I have done 100's of times, framed exactly the same, and with all the same kit etc, which will allow a direct comparison with the 314L and SXV H9 etc cameras.

Have to say, its the first time I've seen one of these 4 series Atiks in the flesh, and the weight, look and feel of the camera is just lovely :)

If anybody is wondering, the backfocus of the camera IS 13mm, couldn't find the info anywhere, but set it at that and didn't have to adjust my OAG guide camera at all :D

5 mins gone of first 10 min sub........not that i'm excited you understand :)

Not here Olly :)

First subs through had silly stars, the mirror just wasn't cooled enough due to the minus temperatures outside the obsy and the plus ones inside. Should be ok now, i'll go and see :)

Ok, here's a single 20 min sub of B33 The Horsehead.

Atik 428ex with Quattro 10", 6nm Ha filter. Image scale 0.93 arcsec/pixel

The only processing done is levels, nothing else. Also bear in mind that there is a very high and bright 3/4 moon just a few degrees from the target tonight.

As expected, the camera is pretty much just like the SXV H9 / Atik 314, with more resolution.

I'm running it via Nebulosity 2 and the included Atik Ascom driver.

Cheers

Tim

post-14037-133877726994_thumb.jpg

I gave up last night at around 3.30, it was just too cold for my brain to function :D

I read an interesting article about the Whale galaxy having an ultra faint Ha emission though, and so ran a couple of hours subs on that. Haven't looked at them yet.

Just need to sort out the spacing for my filter wheel and OAG and coma corrector now and can start with some LRGB galaxies etc. Last night I just used an T2 Ha filter and spacers.

Cheers

Wow, very nice indeed. What about filter size - will 1.25" do, or are 2" preferable?

Is there an IR blocking glass element in front of the chip?

Id guess 1.25 will be fine, which is of course a big plus point.

This is still a "small" 2/3" diagonal so 1,25" filters work. Even bigger ICX694ALG has smaller diagonal than KAF-8300 so also 1,25" filter safe.

I'm wondering if I should try 1.25" filters on my QHY8L...

Or maybe given the inherent cost of 2" filters, it might be a good time to move to a 1.25" setup :D

Clear skies (after the snow),

Mike

The camera sensor has 28.4 mm diagonal while 1,25" filter clear aperture is around 27mm if not less (sbig site). Even if it would fit it - cones from bright f-ratios would cause vignetting.

As QHY8L is color you don't need many filters for it. :D

Yes Mike the 1.25" filters are more than enough :D PM me about filters for the QHY8 before you waste your money :clouds1:

As these new cameras come through, there will maybe be a crop of nicely priced used 285 cameras coming available.

I stacked the few subs of each target with the 428 yesterday, if I get a chance i'll post the results. Had a nightmare with the PC in my obsy suddenly deciding its HDDs have had enough of living, and the PSU to my laptop blew up as well. So I've bought a new desktop for the obsy, will hopefully get it set up today.

Archived