Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Atik 428EX CCD Camera

FLO

Atik have today announced the new Atik 428EX CCD camera featuring Sony's ICX674 2.8MP sensor. Indeed we think this might be the first camera available to astronomers to offer this sensor. Could it be the replacement for the acclaimed Sony ICX285?

Atik are very excited saying it has outstanding Quantum Efficiency, very low noise, excellent thermal management and high sensitivity. Built into Atik's new 400 series platform the ICX674 sensor should make an excellent choice for deep-sky photography and be an ideal match for the short-medium focal length telescopes commonly used by astrophotographers.

atik_428ex_ccd_camera.jpg

Price has not been set but we hope to update this thread this evening.

For specifications and an up-to-date price please see our website.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the price correct? Your website seems to be quoting the 450l!
Might be a little typo but the camera says Model: atik-450l-mono[1] just a little Q.
Oops :(

That was me rushing. I duplicated then edited the 450L listing to save time but forgot to zero the price. I hope to have the correct price soon.

I was in a hurry, I'll be more careful next time :)

Am waiting for the prices... I could be very interested :)

Atik haven't released a price yet. We'll post it here and on our website as soon as we are able. If you haven't already, please go to the product description on our website then click on the 'Notify me when this item is available' button. Our website will then automatically generate an email letting you know when they come into stock.

First Light Optics - Atik 428EX

HTH

We do know there will be a small (due to component availablity) batch available sometime in January. We will reserve what we can but I doubt any one dealer will be able to access more than 2 or 3 from the initial batch.

HTH

We do know there will be a small (due to component availablity) batch available sometime in January. We will reserve what we can but I doubt any one dealer will be able to access more than 2 or 3 from the initial batch.

We have secured three from the from the first batch due sometime in January. The price has been set at £1595.

It's either slow and low on read noise or fast and with bigger read noise (and you need USB3/GigE/Firewire 800 for such framerate). DS cams are the slow solution.

If you want low noise and fast on demand - just check prices of Andor Clara - Andor Interline CCD Camera - High Resolution :) Even basic ICX285 lab camera that is fast costs 2x Atik 314L+ or even more :(

For those that are interested;

ATIK 428 vs ATIK 314L (& other 285 chip cameras)

Using a 10" F4 newt (focal length 1014mm) as an example:

428 = 0.92 arcsec/pixel, FOV 22.3 x 29.7 arc min

314L = 1.31 arcsec/pixel, FOV 22.7 x 30.3 arc min

As can be seen, the new camera offers the same pleasing field of view as the very popular 285 series of cameras, but with smaller pixels the resolution is considerably better, and smack bang in the middle of the recommended arcsec/pixel range for deep sky imaging.

The chip is very similar in size to the 285 chip, and so 1.25" filters will be ample.

Cheers

Tim

Only pixels smaller. The QE charts are here and they do look nice. Only full well depth info is missing.

Great link! The 674 chip looks to have considerably more sensitivity across a wider range of wavelengths, should make capturing SII data a little bit easier :)

For those that are interested;

ATIK 428 vs ATIK 314L (& other 285 chip cameras)

Using a 10" F4 newt (focal length 1014mm) as an example:

428 = 0.92 arcsec/pixel, FOV 22.3 x 29.7 arc min

314L = 1.31 arcsec/pixel, FOV 22.7 x 30.3 arc min

As can be seen, the new camera offers the same pleasing field of view as the very popular 285 series of cameras, but with smaller pixels the resolution is considerably better, and smack bang in the middle of the recommended arcsec/pixel range for deep sky imaging.

The chip is very similar in size to the 285 chip, and so 1.25" filters will be ample.

Cheers

Tim

Just as a matter of interest, what is the recommended arcsec/pixel range for deep sky imaging?

According to this site the dynamic range is 64db

technical specifications

(admittedly this is a different camera so i'm assuming the readout noise is about the same).

If that is correct then you are looking at a full well depth of about 8000. 20 log (8000/5) = 64db. Alternatively you can view this a 1600 brightness levels

Thanks

Ian

Archived