i think i've decided but your thoughts please.

after many hours reading through these forums over the last few weeks and on a few other sites i think i'm finally near a decision.

definately the heq5 goto but its a tossup between these two scopes at the mo,

Sky-Watcher Evostar 80ED DS-PRO telescope.

Vixen ED80Sf Apochromatic Refractor - Brand New from Telescope Outlet

i know a few have got the sw but not read much about the vixen, it looks a good deal considering the original price.

thanks in advance.:icon_salut:

Both scopes have exactly the same optics in them. Vixen produced versions of both the ED80 and the ED100 but I think they have dropped them now.

I don't think the Vixen was ever worth it's original list price but the Telescope Outlet deal seems to push it below the Skywatcher's price now.

Hi Tony,

I have the SW 80ED apo & I can't recommend it highly enough. If you are going to use it for Astrophotography I'm positive you wouldn't regret buying.

Having said that though I believe that Vixen make some very good scopes also & you most likely wouldn't regret buying that either if as John says, they have the same optics in them.

Either way, you'll be getting a very good scope.:icon_salut:

Jeff

Out of interest do these scopes make good observation scopes? I have an interest in open clusters in paticular and was interested to hear opinions about the Skywatcher ED80. Is there a case for quality over Ap size in wide field scopes, i.e ED80 (fl 7.5) over Startravel 150 (fl 5) or is Ap always king?

God that Vixen looks very nice indeed!

Although limited on the faint stuff a small apo is a treat on clusters with its wide field and pinpoint stars highly contrasted against a dark sky background. Someone is likely to come along and say this is a load of old twaddle but I do this for a (modest!) living and have the good fortune to have a number of instruments. I don't always head for the 20 inch, I like small apos and the wide views they provide. If you want to see the whole Veil complex, a wonderful sight, or the Double Cluster framed with Stock 2... etc etc... then go for the small apo.

Olly

buy the ed80 outfit...if both scopes are manufactured in China. If the vixen is a Japan job, then for the optics I would be more inclined to go with the Vixen...especially if the focuser is rack & pinion, actually the Vixen is quite tempting...

Out of interest do these scopes make good observation scopes? I have an interest in open clusters in paticular and was interested to hear opinions about the Skywatcher ED80. Is there a case for quality over Ap size in wide field scopes, i.e ED80 (fl 7.5) over Startravel 150 (fl 5) or is Ap always king?!

One way of looking at it is to think whatever I can't see visually, I'll image.

On the brighter clusters these little scopes rock, but obviously as stuff becomes fainter they can struggle to get deep visually. So stick the camera on.

Regards Steve

Archived