First telescope advice

After many years thinking about joining this hobby I've decided to take the plunge.

I've done a bit of reading and have some books on the way too, from what I have read, the Skywatcher Explorer 150P looks like a good place to start with the EQ3-2 Equatorial mount, I've decided that a computerised mount is not for me, I'm entering the hobby to learn and I think I'd get bored just being able to ask the scope to find things for me. My philosophy in life has always been that the journey is more important than arriving, it also saves me a fortune for accessories. The equatorial mount also sounds like a scientifically elegant solution to navigating the skies efficiently.

I was wondering how other people transport and store thier scopes and mounts, do they come with storage solutions or do people just wrap them up and transport/store? Is there any kind of foam storage case like you can get for cameras?

Other than obvious things like a torch, notepad, maps, warm clothes etc. Is there any equipment I might need to go with this scope, I see it comes with a few eye peices and a 2X Barlow, are there any "essential" things I should consider when making my purchase?

Are there any alternatives to this scope I should consider, I searched for a while for 6" Reflectors without much success.

Also can anyone recommend a good club in the Hertfordshire area, I'm in Stevenage. It would be nice to see what other people have and generally get a "feel" for things before investing too heavily financially.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

150p EQ3-2 is a good choice for a beginner scope. Alternative would be a 200p dobsonian.

As for storage, it depends on how much you are willing to spend. You can keep your scope in the shipping box. That box is designed to survive shipping all they way from China and rough handling by courier. Some telescopes and mount have custom aluminium flight cases, but usually they are only included in premium scopes or as very expensive optional extra. If you want the best protection, you can go for a Pelican case. They are really tough, waterproof, but very expensive.

I keep most of my scopes in large plastic box from IKEA with sealant applied to the edges to keep moisture out. I also placed a cupboard dehumidifier inside the box to suck out any remaining moisture to prevent fungi.

You are going for the same set up I opted for and for the same reasons. For storage all my kit sits on top of my wardrobe. Cases are available and can come with foam that u cut your self but there not cheap. Google "flight cases" you will need to decide on size.

For essentials I'd say a cheshire collimating tool for sure as your scope will need collimating from time to time and should be checked regularly. Maybe a better finderscope or an RDF? The supplied ep's are not great but will be fine for a few months until you find your feet same goes for the barlow. The eq3-2 is a nice mount but the setting circle system is really more for show and not really an accurate scientific instrument (although I have used then fairly succesfully in the past)

As an alternative you may want to look at the 200p dobsonian. Similar in price. 2" bigger apperture and 250mm longer focal length so keep storeage in mind!!

I was thinking actually an eq5 would be a more sturdy mount and also give me some upgrade protection if I upgraded to an 8" later. Also has anyone used the 150pds version yet?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Changed my mind again, the 150 and the eq5 mount comes out more expensive than a 200 witht the eq5 mount. I think theyre sold as a bundle with really good savings. So im getting the 200, in for a penny in for a pound.

as most of thescope questions have been covered i will offer an answer to your other question

Letchworth & District Astronomical Society which can be seen at

Welcome to Letchworth & District Astronomical Society

just had a look at their pages looks to be a well organised and thriving society. they will no doubt welcome you with open arms

good luck

I started out with the 200P EQ5 Bundle a few months ago. For £400 you absolutely cannot go wrong.

I agree completely with your comments about not going motorised, or looking at Goto to begin with. This was my point of view when

I started. HOWEVER :) I have just upgraded my Scope with the Goto kit. While finding things is easy (with some help and patience, I did struggle at first but people on here helped me out) I wanted the tracking ability, rather than the finding ability.

One thing I will say is if you are getting a new scope, get either a Telrad or a red dot finder. I found tracking down objects manually without my Telrad painful to the point of frustration. As soon as I got the Telrad my observing changed completely and went from 90% frustration, 10% amazement to almost all amazement at what I was seeing.

Thanks, whats a telrad? Also what do I need for tracking?

From my basic understanding I think I need single axis to track moving objects on an eq mount so I dont understand why dual axis motors are needed. Will the motors alone allow tracking or do I need something to control them?

Ill def get down to the letchworth club, I am lucky that I have access to some private fields already as a model rc pilot, some of which are very dark sites :)

Telrad = zero magnification finder that projects 3 circles on the sky (or appears to) of half, 2 and 4 degrees diameter. Makes star hopping to objects and pointing your scope at a specific patch of sky easier than with an optical finder, in my opinion.

The DEC drive is used to make fine adjustments but if the scope is accurately polar aligned only the RA drive is needed to track an astro object. Motor drives are controlled by a handset.

Confused, im getting a newt not a dob.

A dob is a type of mount not scope. It is possible to have a newtonian scope on a dob(sonian) mount.

You will be getting a newtonian scope on an equitorial mount if you go for the 200P on an EQ5

Yes, my bad, I understand the distinction, the thread relates to dobs not eqs. That said, ive not seen a dob used with anything other than a newt, a doband refractor would presumably be impossible to use unless it was massive and on something to raise it (im guessing the large obs ones are like this?)

The Skywatcher Heritage 130p dob can take any small scope (refractor or other) on it. Any small scope that has a f/l of 650mm will fit the heritage dob mount. But because the EP is at the other end of the OTA from the newt, the whole thing would need to be set on a table or something similar to allow you to get to the EP.

Archived