Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best lighting for drawing the planets and moon

colin2007

Hi,

I have read that it`s not necessary to use a red light to illuminate your observing log. The planets are too bright for dark adaption.

Is this correct?

I was always under the impression that you used a red light for any objects regardless what you was observing.

If anybody can put me right I will be extremly grateful.

Colin

ermmm many a people will shoot me down but ,the eyes take just as long to recover from red light than white light they both one of the same ,a quick Google will confirm this, i draw alot and use a white head torch its very dim i used the mrs nail varnish to tone it down i found that "fountain blue " was a good color

• 2 weeks later...

It is more about the brightness of the light that the colour. I don't know why red is recommended rather than blue or green, maybe it's because it is easier to see pencil/pen or writting in red light (I find it easier).

White seems to be a harder colour of light to dim than red, so I believe that is why red is recommended.

I agree about not worrying when sketching the Moon and planets (at least Venus, Jupiter and Saturn) as these objects are so bright that they alone will ruin your dark adapted vision.

For sketching I prefer to use a "musicians" light - a light in a stalk and clip that clips onto your drawing board/book etc and allows you to direct the light exactly where you want it. You can get them from music shops or fleabay: 2 Dual Arm 4 LED Reading Book Music Stand Light Lamp for iPad 2 Kindle 3 3G wifi | eBay

• 2 weeks later...

That LED thing looks just the business. I use something similar. A £1.99 LED clip on reading lamp from Hawkin's Bazaar. It folds but the bend goose-neck thing looks better.

I have a couple of layers of red acetate tapped into a tube that slips over like a shield so I can use red for deep sky and white lunar / planetary.

Archived