Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guide can help needed

Looking on modern astronomy

Guider Cameras @ Modern Astronomy

there are a couple of QHY5's and the thought of replacing my SPC880 with the QHY5v came across as a kill 2 birds with 1 stone kind a deal. In my mind anyway, but are they not the same chips? What I'm asking is would there be any improvement for planetary imaging by having the QHY5v over the SPC880.

AS always any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Yes, very much so. I have both cameras, and the 5v is able to crank out an average of about 30 fps, which makes an enormous difference over the spc880/900. Also, being mono, it's more sensitive. I didn't believe how much more so... the 5v has a global shutter, unlike the 5, and that makes it a better imaging camera. As for use as a guide camera, never had a problem with it. I know it's not as good as a proper CCD for the job, but generally it's cheaper.

I've plenty of example images, both as an imaging cam and a guide cam...

As a guide cam

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/165364-m45-i-love-target.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/140087-m67-rc.html

Lunar

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-lunar/129275-first-moon-light-7-pane-mosaic-6-rc.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-lunar/126107-28-pane-mosaic-18-jan-2011-a.html

Planetary

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/125071-repro-jupiter.html

Thanks for the replies guys. Out of interest would the QHY5 be any good for planetary imaging ??? Trying to see my money go further as I'd like to improve on my SPC880 and if it meant I get a guide cam out of it at the same time then all the better.

I use it for guiding and it's never failed me as most people that use one would say I would imagine. I'm going to have a go at some planetary with it as well once my Barlow arrives I refer dso imaging but planetary is always good for some fun

When I spoke to bern at modern astronomy he said that if it was going to be used as a guide cam then not to bother with the qhy5v just stick to the qhy5 as it was better for that

I suppose it depends on what you want to concentrate on.

But after you sold all those lovely tv ep's maybe you could splash out on a dmk camera as well :)

Never had a problem with the 5v for guiding. Bern told me that I was wanting it for imaging and guiding the 5v was the better choice. The jupiter image I posted above was with an 80mm frac with a 5x Barlow, I know it's not as good as something that can be produced with a proper planetary scope, but I don't have one :).

One other question as I can feel myself getting cold feet already at the costs mounting up. Can you fit a rigid guide scope or dose it have to be adjustable? I'm guessing as long as the guide star is in the FOV and near to the object being imaged the software dose the rest ??? Also I want to keep cables and tech to a minimum. I'm not overly fussed at the out come of images as long as they are acceptable and not riddled with excessive star trails. Basically imaging the objects that I cannot see at the EP. I now this will be hard to stomach for those determined imagers out there at the thought of doing it half heartedly but I already have your superb images to look at so I don't see the point in breaking the bank and brain overload trying to figure out how to improve on them :)

Whilst I have collimating guide rings for my guide scope, it's very rare I have to adjust them to get a guide star into the FOV of my ST80 and 5v. As to "only doing it half heartedly", it's your hobby after all, so whichever way you choose to carry it out, it's up to you.

So the guide star need only be a star visible within the FOV of the guide scope and not necessarily in the center of view of the imaging scopes view ?? Forgive having to baby sit me but I have searched the net and cannot find any simple beginners guides to simple imaging rigs.

correct... you ideally want the guide star more towards the middle of the FOV, and often a very minor tweak of the mount will do that, without affecting the target unduly (although that depends at what focal length and sensor size you're imaging with).

Yes, you can guide on any star in the FOV.

The QHY5 on a ST80 give a coverage of approx 1/2 degree ( the size of the Moon)

I'd say there's a good chance of finding a suitable guide star in the field!

This is one of the major advantages of The Guide Camera/PC option over the Standalone Synguider option which needs the star to be "centered"... Not an Issue for widefield imaging which is what I bought it for but can bea a real pain at longer focal lengths...

Peter...

Spaceboy,

What is your imaging scope focal length?

I am successfully guiding WO72 (432 mm focal length) with 5v attached to 135 mm old Hoya lens. This gives me huge FOV and never failed to fing guide star

Spaceboy,

What is your imaging scope focal length?

I am successfully guiding WO72 (432 mm focal length) with 5v attached to 135 mm old Hoya lens. This gives me huge FOV and never failed to fing guide star

Promise not to laugh... a 200P. I don't want to give up visual observing so the 200P is hear to stay but I understand it is a big ask on my EQ6. The guide scope will be an ST80 piggy backed on a regular dovetail which I may have a go at modding to allow side to side movement.

Archived