Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

An All-Round Good Eyepiece

PreludeToADream

I'd like to spend a fair bit of money getting a decent eyepiece (roughly £200-300) when I purchase my new 'scope (getting a 10" or 12" Dobsonian). I don't really have the money to get 2 eyepieces for this kind of money, but I'd like to get one. So essentially, what eyepiece would be the best to get? I've been looking at TeleVues and want something that's quite flexible that I can use a lot. I'm most interested in DSOs. Any suggestions?

I find the 13mm focal length extremely useful. You could get a 13mm Tele Vue Type 6 Nagler for that budget which are excellent. Tele Vue also do a 12mm Nagler in the Type 4 series which has a hybrid 1.25" / 2" barrel. Those are highly thought of too and have larger eye lenses and more eye relief than the Type 6's.

I'm sure plenty of other suggestions will soon come :)

having joined an observing group & Tried different eyepices out in my 'scope....

I found the 32mm skywatcher panaview & the celestron X-Cel LX range suited my 'scope...& more importantly...my eyes

also...£5 of petrol to a good site can give a better view than a £300 eyepiece in the garden

Excellent coments so far. If I were you I'd wait with one caveat. You have a decent selection of eyepieces for now and they provide a good range of image sizes. The one thing missing is a 12.5mm/13mm plossl. Buy one used for about £15 and then you have a set with which you can gauge the following:

1) What sort of observing do I really prefer?

2) What sort of magnification works best for those targets, the seeing on average and my scope's focal length?

Once you can gauge these things with your new scope then you can make a more informed choice about what to get next. You may be the sort of observer who uses a narrow field low power eyepiece (like your 25mm) to find things and then goes straight for more power like a 13mm whcih then stays in all the time you observe that object. If so then spend the bulk of the money on that eyepiece.

I have a 16" f4 dob and find that two eyepieces - a 13mm Ethos (141x) and a 26mm Nagler (71x) is more than enough. Either of these eyepieces could be just about bought used with your budget but as I say, I'd wait.

If you can, be cheeky and ask others from your local area if you can join them in their gardens and try their eyepieces, many will be more than happy to do so I bet.

I'd like to spend a fair bit of money getting a decent eyepiece (roughly £200-300) when I purchase my new 'scope (getting a 10" or 12" Dobsonian). I don't really have the money to get 2 eyepieces for this kind of money, but I'd like to get one. So essentially, what eyepiece would be the best to get? I've been looking at TeleVues and want something that's quite flexible that I can use a lot. I'm most interested in DSOs. Any suggestions?

This is exactly the question I have been trying to figure out too. I have a new 10 inch Dob, and I don't wish to sound unreasonable, but I have been a little underwhelmed by my viewing experiences so far. Admittedly, I have only had the scope since Dec 2nd and the Moon has been very bright on all nights I have been able to get her fired up. Even tonight, I thought the Andromeda galaxy looked little more than a grey powdery blob (like an out of focus planet) with no obvious definition to it....and then the moon really got above the horizon. Jupiter was also poorly defined (I re-collimated accurately this evening but with no obvious improvement).

My Skywatcher scope was supplied with two standard issue eyepieces - one 10mm and one 25mm. I have though ordered, and am awaiting, my first piece of upgrade kit - an Astronomik UHC filter. I am hoping this will improve the views I get of various (but not all) DSOs. I hope the Orion nebula and Rosette will be impressive with this.

I am also thinking I need to add a higher quality eyepiece, almost similar to the one that PreludetoADream is seeking (but perhaps not more than £200), plus a Barlow for higher magnification. This is an interesting thread for me. Good ask Prelude....

Tb

This is exactly the question I have been trying to figure out too. I have a new 10 inch Dob, and I don't wish to sound unreasonable, but I have been a little underwhelmed by my viewing experiences so far. Admittedly, I have only had the scope since Dec 2nd and the Moon has been very bright on all nights I have been able to get her fired up. Even tonight, I thought the Andromeda galaxy looked little more than a grey powdery blob (like an out of focus planet) with no obvious definition to it....and then the moon really got above the horizon. Jupiter was also poorly defined (I re-collimated accurately this evening but with no obvious improvement).

My Skywatcher scope was supplied with two standard issue eyepieces - one 10mm and one 25mm. I have though ordered, and am awaiting, my first piece of upgrade kit - an Astronomik UHC filter. I am hoping this will improve the views I get of various (but not all) DSOs. I hope the Orion nebula and Rosette will be impressive with this.

I am also thinking I need to add a higher quality eyepiece, almost similar to the one that PreludetoADream is seeking (but perhaps not more than £200), plus a Barlow for higher magnification. This is an interesting thread for me. Good ask Prelude....

Tb

Where abouts in Guildford are you? Used to live nearby (in Ripley)

You are more than welcome to come along to our "Surrey Observers" meets on Ranmore Common. Where you can try any of my eyepieces if you wish.

Find us on the index page in the social groups. We meet most clear nights.

Look forward to seeing you

Regards Steve

... I have a new 10 inch Dob, and I don't wish to sound unreasonable, but I have been a little underwhelmed by my viewing experiences so far. ...

I guess it all depends what your expectations were. But a few days is really not anywhere near enough time to judge a scope.

M31 does tend to look like that though - until you view it under really dark skies :)

Jupiter should show quite a lot of detail but you need to work at it and train yourself to see the details - they don't just jump out at you, even with a 10" scope.

So much of visual observing is rather subtle in reality.

M42 will look different with a UHC filter although again don't expect overwhelming differences - I prefer the unfiltered view myself.

There are a few objects such as the Veil Nebula and the Owl Nebula that the filter will make a significant difference to.

For galaxies there is simply no substitute for dark skies (ie: no moonlight or light pollution ideally).

Try and find a bright globular cluster to look at with your scope - they look very impressive with 10" of aperture I reckon :)

Where abouts in Guildford are you? Used to live nearby (in Ripley)

You are more than welcome to come along to our "Surrey Observers" meets on Ranmore Common. Where you can try any of my eyepieces if you wish.

Find us on the index page in the social groups. We meet most clear nights.

Look forward to seeing you

Regards Steve

Steve - I would certainly be up for joining you on one of your observing nights. It's very kind of you to invite me. I am just on the other side of Guildford from Ranmore Common. Getting a chance to meet some like-minded types would be great, and if you'd could give me a guided tour of your EP collection that would be fantastic!

I'll check out the social groups section. Cheers!

Archived