Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Solar Observation

Jamie

Today i have been having the best time with my new PST (thanks Steve/FLO)

The views that i have had today have been indescribable (so i won't even bother trying).

Then i actually payed more attention to one of Pete Lawrence's Solar images on todays Space weather.com

Pete-Lawrence1_strip2.jpg

Image by Pete Lawrence

This was taken with a PST :shock: my views have been surprisingly just as good ...Honest!!

BTW Pete if you read this anytime soon (Monday 21st May 1.43pm) there is a massive "loop prominence" starting to appear i just hope you are able to image this because it is spectacular to say the least.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just been back out to have another look.

This time i cranked up the power some.

I put in a 4x barlow and a 9mm eyepiece and felt like i could reach in and touch that loop prominence.

Focus was a bit more difficult of course but once achieved the views were great.

There is also a sunspot to look at number 956 i think.

This has some filaments protruding from it too with a good bit of texture being resolved in the eyepiece.

When i lower the power to just the 9mm eyepiece you can just about make out the whole

disc and all the prominences round the full circumference, the sunspot and the filaments also the texture of the granulation is superb at this level of magnification...

Have you tried turning the PST towards Venus or any other objects in the sky?

Great photo btw.

Firstly mate the "photo" is one of Pete Lawrence's NOT mine.

Secondly a PST is a dedicated Portable Solar Telescope that only sees objects in the H Alpha bandwidth.

It can't be used to view anything else.

Have you tried turning the PST towards Venus or any other objects in the sky?

Great photo btw.

Firstly mate the "photo" is one of Pete Lawrence's NOT mine.

Secondly a PST is a dedicated Portable Solar Telescope that only sees objects in the H Alpha bandwidth.

It can't be used to view anything else.

My bad... :police:

Dear Father Christmas,

This year I have been a really good boy, I've helped my Mummy and My Mummy-in-law and even my Wife before she shouts at me. Please can I have A PST I promise I'll look after it.

Your Friend

Darren age 32

PS Could you also please arrange for the nights to be clear and steady, and the sun to shine during the day with lots of sunspots. :sunny:

QUOTE "But I've been really good this year - Darren"

So go to Steve (FLO) and order that PST - You too can see a Loop Prominance :sunny:

I ordered my PST from Steve about a week ago - he had sold out in days from his last shipment - I am counting the days until he restocks and "WINGS" one to me.

TOM

Here's the thing WH.

If you look at the sun through a white light filter then i must agree with you there.

But if you look through a good HA filtered scope there is loads to see.

Think of it like this mate "The sun is different to look at every day"

as opposed to the moon being different because of its phases but its much the same each time to look at. Same goes for the planets.

Lucky for me that i do "get" solar viewing....

In Ha, the view of the Sun, is constantly changing, and as such is certainly not at all boring to look at on a regular basis.

Its the only star in the universe on which we can see surface detail, and its spectacular 'explosive' events, and all just 8 minutes after they occur.

White Light solar viewing also has its place, as this shows 'Sun Spot' activity very nicely indeed. Albeit at the moment we are in a 'Sun Spot minimum, and such activity is low.

Ok, the PST is a 'one trick pony', but what it does, it does very well indeed, and compliments 'white light' solar viewing/imaging very nicely.

My astronomy used to be limited to the hours of darkness, now I can enjoy another aspect of the hobby during daylight hours.

My own solar set-up comprises a Thousand Oaks 'white light' solar filter, which I attach to the ED80, and a PST.

We all take from the hobby what we want to, and what's of interest to me, may be boring to someone else. The 'bottom line' is, if you get enjoyment from it, that's all that matters.

Dave

I can't wait to get a Ha PST....

Been doing my bit with white light...And enjoying it.

Been watching spacenews.com for the latest sunspot activity then getting out on a clear day and imaging the spot or spots if we're lucky..Great fun..

But those PST's are something else.

Archived