Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guiding Help Please

Hello all at SGL.

The equipment I have is a SW HEQ5 Pro mount, SW ED80 scope, Qhy5 (just recieved 2 days ago) guide camera and EQ interface, which works all okay with CDC, Stellaruim and Guide 9 software when used for viewing. I am using my SW 9x50 guide scope with the qhy5 as a guider, using the proper mounting setup as suggested by Bernard.

With the weather not being too good and me wanting to see if all works okay, I have just been using a street light about 1.5 miles away to see if camera was working. It seems as if the image is far too bright even when turning all the settings down and it seems as if I am unable to achieve focus properly. I have installed all the drivers on the cd that came with the qhy5 and have downloaded the Ascom 6 platform and the lastest Eqmod drivers.

I have used the mount all okay for viewing purposes and it slews all okay and has worked very well until setting up the qh5y guide camera. I have downloaded PHD and the camera seems to be working okay recieving live view images, The moon did pop out for a about 10mins and managed to setup up on that, but yet again far too bright and unable to focus. I screwed in and out the focus ring, but this did not help.

I downloaded PHD (latest version) and connected the ST4 lead from the camera to the mount. Here comes the the hard bit. I started PHD, selected the guide camera, all okay, then I select scope and its here when it all goes astray. I select Eqmod Ascom EQ 5/6 and up comes Eqmod Ascom window and it says that there is a Connect Error, Port not available.

Here is the big qusetion. Do I need to have the EQ interface connected to the mount as well as the ST4 lead connected to qh5y and my mount to do some guiding?

Sorry its a load of text.

Kindest regards

Hadyn - Isle of Man

From experience with attaching a webcam to the 9 x 50 finder via one of Bernards adapters, focus can be achieved by removing the lens assembly and the focus locking ring, then place the objective lens assembly back on. The removal of the locking ring permitted more movement down the tube and achieved focus. This might work with the QHY5

My finderscope doesn't achieve good focus with my QHY5 - But still guides absolutely fine. I have heard it said that guiding is better on a slightly out of focus star anyway.

Sounds like you have everything working together well, just on PHD select 'Q Guider' for the camera and 'on camera' for the mount. With your ST4 setup that should all work fine. That's the way I do it too.

I have QHY5 and PHD with an ST80 guidescope. I needed an extension tube to reach focus.

If you are connecting the ST4 directly from the QHY5 to Guide port, and you have installed the drivers correctly, you should only need to connect the camera, in the dropdown list:

ASCOM v5 camera/ CMOS QHY5 camera

Installing the drivers was a bit of a palaver, it came with a set of instructions and they have to be done precisely. If you have any further problems, PM me and I can send you a set of drivers and instructions.

Carole

Hello All

Thank you all very much indeed for your help yet again, this is a great forum for us newbies.

Just to say I have managed to get the QHY5 in my 9x50 finder scope working okay when using PHD.

This is how I did it.... On loading PHD with camera attached etc, I select camera settings, select Ascom Late Camera, Up pops the menu showing Cmos QHY5 camera , I click on Properties where the gain is set to 50% on first starting , I turn the gain down to 20% and I can then focus okay by unscrewing the focus ring on the finder scope right outwards with only about 5mm of thread remaining on the finder scope. I wait about 10 seconds so that camera has time to adapt to the re-focus etc. I run the settings for the camera exposure settings at 1.0 seconds and all seems fine so far.

Do you guys think that sounds about right to you?

KIndest regards and Seasons Greetings to all at the SGL.

Hadyn - Isle of Man

Archived