Bins vs Telescope

Hi, I tried my dad's Celestron Travelscope out last night and I must admit its a decent bit of kit for its price and aperture.

But having used my 15x70's, I struggle to keep my one eye closed! Is this something you get used to over time as I've got my heart set on a 200p Dob next year having reading good reviews about them on here.

Did/does anybody else struggle with this?

Thanks for the replies, I did try the one hand over the eye technique which seemed better. It seems it just gonna be a case of getting used to it.

The Orion Nebula looked bigger in my skymasters than through the 10mm eyepiece. Would a x2 barlow make it bigger still or is there another eyepiece I can use?

Thanks.

And two of every eyepiece (and sufficient focuser travel).

If an eye patch doesn't work, try a hood over your head that shuts out all light, and leave both eyes open. This is in any case good for shutting out unwanted light impinging on the viewing eye: very useful when looking at faint DSOs.

I cant imagine holding my left hand over my left eye for hours on end while i observe. That's why i use an eye patch. I have no problem just shutting my left eye but after a while it can get a bit tired and ever so slightly painful.

I say go to your local chemist and buy a simple/cheap eye patch. It allows you to keep both eyes open and you have both hands free. It just feels very natural and comfortable and relaxing.

I think eyepatches are very good too. do you know why?

"because they rrrrrrr"

I think you'll get used to closing one eye after a short time so don't fret.

for me a scope is much more comfortable than a pair of binoculars and you can generally see more detail.

Archived