Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Coronado Personal Solar Telescope (PST)

Unfortunately I'm now working nights and believe me when I say astronomy and night work does not go hand in hand so with this in mind I'm considering the Coronado Personal Solar Telescope (PST).

It would be the new model but from what I have read it comes with a Kellner eyepiece and this is not very good.

What eyepieces do you guys use and which is the best one in your opinion.

I had a PST for a while Mick. I found that a Hyperion 8-24 zoom worked rather well in it. The whole range was useable but 20mm - 12mm was the most useful area. I also used a low cost 16mm plossl in it and that worked quite well too albeit without the flexibility of course.

I had a PST for a while Mick. I found that a Hyperion 8-24 zoom worked rather well in it. The whole range was useable but 20mm - 12mm was the most useful area. I also used a low cost 16mm plossl in it and that worked quite well too albeit without the flexibility of course.

Thats two zooms that work well, why did you get shot of it John?

Another vote for a zoom eyepiece, a good PST should work well throughout the full range, my most used FL is around 10mm. The 20mm Kellner is "ok" but 20x mag! :) no wonder some users miss out on the potential. Good time to join the "brighter" side now that the Sun is so active. :)

Thats two zooms that work well, why did you get shot of it John?

Simply because my daytimes were busier than my nighttimes Mick. I was very impressed with the PST but I decided that I didn't want to lock up that investment in something that would not get the use it deserved :)

Simply because my daytimes were busier than my nighttimes Mick. I was very impressed with the PST but I decided that I didn't want to lock up that investment in something that would not get the use it deserved :)

Well my life's completely the opposite to yours.

It certainly is enough, having said that, the full extent of a sunspot per se is best seen in white light, Ha operates at a different height in the Sun's "atmosphere". There is also a surprising learning curve to get the best out of a PST, there is a combination of focusing, image placement in the field and most important, the etalon tuning. Each aspect is easy enough to do and once sussed the results are magic. :)

Well my life's completely the opposite to yours.

Indeed - in your situation the appeal of a PST is great :)

I couldn't get over the fact that technology has reached a point where for the cost of a couple of tankfulls of petrol, you could buy a device that would let you see H alpha features :)

When I started in the hobby you had to wait for a total eclipse :)

It certainly is enough, having said that, the full extent of a sunspot per se is best seen in white light, Ha operates at a different height in the Sun's "atmosphere". There is also a surprising learning curve to get the best out of a PST, there is a combination of focusing, image placement in the field and most important, the etalon tuning. Each aspect is easy enough to do and once sussed the results are magic. :)

Very interesting Peter, I like a challenge :)

Archived