Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How far can you see ?

Stevie816

From my garden last night I could just about make out magnitude 9 objects with my 10" Meade ?

What I'm wondering is, Is this good or bad ?

I know there are many variables but how far back should I be able to go from a good site on a good day ?

Not sure if there is an answer but I would appreciate your thoughts

Steve

I've managed to see a magnitude 13 supernova with my 10" newtonian from my back garden earlier this year. It was in a galaxy that is around 65 million light years from us. The galaxy was in Ursa Major and well overhead when I observed it so well away from the lightglows from nearby Bristol and Newport. Thats the faintest I've been able to go.

A 10" should be able to go much deeper. I can get mag 10 stars with my 15x70 and 80mm triplet. Conditions must be good, of course.

With my C8, I have tracked SN2011fe down to mag 13.2, when it was low in the sky. LP was not too bad, and the sky was very transparent. I have also nabbed mag 13 galaxies (in a dark location). A lot of practice with averted vision helps a lot.

The title of the thread is the question I get asked the most by non-astronomers, "How far can you see then?"

I never know quite how to answer, because if you say "100's of millions of light years!" they just go blank.

With a sensitive camera on the MN190 I was picking up faint galaxies in the region of mag 17 IIRC. There is a particular region I imaged once that had a fov full of fuzzies and very few stars, but a problem with the camera meant I never finished the picture, but seeing all them faint fuzzies rolling out of my little observatory was quite inspiring!

Cheers

Tim

I managed 3c273 at magnitude 12.8 back at SGL6 in April with my 8" dobsonian, the skies were quite dark. Not bad at 2 billion light years :)

But usually I can get to mag 11.5 on a good night with it from my light polluted site in Crewe, magnitude 4.5 is the average limiting magnitude for the naked eye. Mag 9 sounds fairly poor for a 10" but I suppose with the moon in the sky and/or a bit of high cloud it would sound about right. It all depends on the sky conditions.

Archived