Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD - Can I park at a certain time?

swag72

I know you have maxim which can run off of scripts so you should be able to write a script that sends a park scope command to maxim and get windows to run it using scheduler at a set time.

Hopefully someone else has an easier solution if not i'll have a quick look and see if its possible. Maxim is completely scriptable which is another good thing about it.

Hi Sara,

You could set the RA limit and have the mount park when it hits them - So if you want to park the mount in two hours time - slew the mount two hours in RA from your intended target, set the "meridian limit" there then slew back to your target. In two hours of tracking at sidereal the mount will stop tracking and/or park itself (depending on your limit config).

Or

Pay a visit to the EQMOD Project website - documentation and FAQs

At the bottom of the page you will see there is an ASCOM Park timer sample. Download, unzip and run the exe and you'll get a very basic ASCOM client application where you can set an elapsed time in seconds after which an ASCOM park is initiated. Press the button to start the countdown. The slight problem with this is that ASCOM only allows one park position and by default this is home - so if you want to park anywhere else you have to first set the ASCOM park position (there is a menu entry to do this). Once done EQMOD will remember this ASCOM park position for future ASCOM parks.

Chris.

Hopefully someone else has an easier solution if not i'll have a quick look and see if its possible. Maxim is completely scriptable which is another good thing about it.

Anything with an ascom driver is inherently scriptable too - folks just don't realise how easy it is to write a bit of VBscript in notepad (samples are included with EQMOD).

Chris.

As above really. I know that I can not get EQMOD to turn the mount off,

You could, though, rig up something simple, like a ULN2803 Darlington array (will switch up to 2.5 amps), controlled by an Arduino and give it an ASCOM Switch driver.

Hi Sara,

There is some free software called BaFTrak created by a guy called Christophe who runs this Yahoo group

BafTrack, a small utility designed to stop the tracking of a mount or park it at a given time.

The group hosts two versions of BafTrack : one "simple" and one using the Phidgets interfaces.

The software is available in the files section of the group. You have to join the group to access it.

Steve

Anything with an ascom driver is inherently scriptable too - folks just don't realise how easy it is to write a bit of VBscript in notepad (samples are included with EQMOD).

Chris.

I kind of know it´s relatively easy I have just not needed to do it as yet. I am sure there are some things that I am doing manually that I could automate....I keep meaning to play.

I use ACP as well so I have so many scripts and tweaks I could do I should get off my butt and try a few!

Excellent everyone - Will look into the suggestions. Thanks.

Sara,

I found myself with a spare ten minutes so have added a basic park timer into a test release of EQASCOM. V1.24a is now available via the files section of the EQMOD group.

No documentation as yet but I've kept the implementation simple. Enter the number of minutes until the park is to occur in the box and hit the button to start (the remaining minutes box will switch to a green background to show the park timer is running). If you want to cancel the operation then hit the button again. Should the mount be parked at anytime when the park timer is active, the park timer will deactivate.

Chris.

@Chris - Excellent, will load that sometime today.

@beyondvision - I used to do that before I got the obs, but now it's all set up I'd like to be able to retain alignment so want to be able to park.

Use the timer as well set to an amount of time after the pc parks themount just in case. If the mount parks before the power cuts out you still retain position.

Sara,

I found myself with a spare ten minutes so have added a basic park timer into a test release of EQASCOM. V1.24a is now available via the files section of the EQMOD group.

No documentation as yet but I've kept the implementation simple. Enter the number of minutes until the park is to occur in the box and hit the button to start (the remaining minutes box will switch to a green background to show the park timer is running). If you want to cancel the operation then hit the button again. Should the mount be parked at anytime when the park timer is active, the park timer will deactivate.

Chris.

Cheers Chris, but the link's not working.

• 3 weeks later...

Just like to say Chris that I tested this for the first time last night. Worked an absolute treat and also parked to my preferred park position, not the 'Home' position. Which is even better!!

So thank you for taking the time to write the necessary and put it into EQMOD - I for one greatly appreciate the time and effort you have put into it for me.

Just like to say Chris that I tested this for the first time last night. Worked an absolute treat and also parked to my preferred park position, not the 'Home' position. Which is even better!!

So thank you for taking the time to write the necessary and put it into EQMOD - I for one greatly appreciate the time and effort you have put into it for me.

Hi Sara,

Glad to be of assistance.

It will park to whatever the currently selected park mode is. I'm sure some will prefer an immediate park to the current position thereby avoiding the risk of any cable snags whilst parking unattended - others may have some means of automatic roof closure so need the mount to assume a low position. Either way we've got it all covered.

Chris.

Archived