NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Evostar vs Equinox

You're right it is. f7.5/f6.25.

Does that warrant the Equinox being more expensive though? Are shorter focal length mirrors harder to make?

I'm only just getting my head round f ratios, so forgive my basic questions.

eid

I think you'll find that the Equinox is finished to a much higher standard, better quality focuser and machining. I have the Equinox 80 and it is a very well made scope, heavy, with beautiful finishing.

Ed

Yes its build quality that sets them apart.

The evostar has a focal length of 600mm the Equinox, 500mm

The Equinox has a retractable dew shield making it more compact. the Evostar is fixed.

with the two points above it makes the Equinox nearly two thirds the length when packed into its case.

The Evostar uses tube rings and dovetail, the Equinox has a dovetail "foot" factory fitted which works very well, although a bit short at times.

The Crayford on the Equinox is a lot nicer, not perfect but pretty respectable.

When both are sold as just the optical tube assembly (OTA) the Equinox is about £100-£150 more expensive.

Ok, thanks for the comments all. Makes more sense now.

Gina Your webcam seems to be broken; cant see a thing :).

I actually refreshed my browser twice the other day because I thought it was broken. Silly me...:)

eid

Gina Your webcam seems to be broken; cant see a thing :).

I actually refreshed my browser twice the other day because I thought it was broken. Silly me...:)

eid

Yes, it's broken ATM I'm afraid.

You're right it is. f7.5/f6.25.

Does that warrant the Equinox being more expensive though? Are shorter focal length mirrors harder to make?

I'm only just getting my head round f ratios, so forgive my basic questions.

eid

I don't know. The Evostar & Equinox are refractors and don't use mirrors.

Peter

The Evostar ED PRO series are similar to Dobsonian telescopes in that the bulk of the spend is on the optics. The fit and finish of the tube and focuser is workmanlike and utilitarian. The Equinox on the other hand have CNC machined black-anodised bodys and are altogether more sexy. As already mentioned, the Evostar 80 ED PRO and Equinox-80 ED are the exceptions. They have different optics. Price aside, choosing between the two 80mm models is more difficult than it first seems because whilst the Equinox has a faster optic and sexy tube, the Evostar has an optional optically-matched reducer/flattener.

HTH :)

Indeed. I'd still like to know if faster lenses are harder to make.

But thanks for pointing that out anyway.

eid

Enormously harder and enormously-enormously harder if you want high grade colour correction. Our Tak FSQ85 can give imaging-perfect colour correction at F3.9. £3,500 - ching!

Worth it? You bet!

Olly

As already mentioned, the Evostar 80 ED PRO and Equinox-80 ED are the exceptions. They have different optics.

I saw the optics were both Japanese/German..this is why I said they were the same. I think I need to stop browsing astronomy retailers and get more sleep. :)

Price aside, choosing between the two 80mm models is more difficult than it first seems because whilst the Equinox has a faster optic and sexy tube, the Evostar has an optional optically-matched reducer/flattener.

What options are there for the Equinox and how much difference does it make in the image?

Very much so..thanks.

Enormously harder and enormously-enormously harder if you want high grade colour correction. Our Tak FSQ85 can give imaging-perfect colour correction at F3.9. £3,500 - ching!

Worth it? You bet!

Olly

Think I'll leave that for another life. Thanks Olly.

eid

What options are there for the Equinox and how much difference does it make in the image?

If you put aside the difference in mechanics and concentrate solely on the optics then the Equinox 80 has a wider field-of-view and faster f-ratio (you will fit more sky on your imaging sensor and enjoy shorter exposure times) whereas the Evostar 80 ED will have slightly less chromatic aberration (false colour fringe around bright objects). Both will need a reducer/flattener if you are using a DSLR camera. You will need to search the forum for advice regarding what works best with the Equinox but Skywatcher have made the choice easy for the Evostar because they offer an optically matched reducer/flattener.

There must be scores of images from both telescopes here at SGL. Enjoy the choosing but dont become anxious, there is no wrong choice when considering these two.

If you put aside the difference in mechanics and concentrate solely on the optics then the Equinox 80 has a wider field-of-view and faster f-ratio (you will fit more sky on your imaging sensor and enjoy shorter exposure times) whereas the Evostar 80 ED will have slightly less chromatic aberration (false colour fringe around bright objects). Both will need a reducer/flattener if you are using a DSLR camera. You will need to search the forum for advice regarding what works best with the Equinox but Skywatcher have made the choice easy for the Evostar because they offer an optically matched reducer/flattener.

There must be scores of images from both telescopes here at SGL. Enjoy the choosing but dont become anxious, there is no wrong choice when considering these two.

Very true. I see lots of astounding results from these scopes.

Olly

I have had a look at some images made by these and was very impressed.

I'm drawn more towards the Equinox simply because I like things that are finished to a high standard. I'll probably go for that once I stop arguing with myself about the cost (I know this is only the beginning of a long and expensive shopping frenzy).

I've been trying to work out why a fast scope needs less exposure time. The only thing I can come up with is that its imaging a smaller area using the size lens, so the light is concentrated more. Is that even close to correct?

Edit: (Sorry Ive gone completely off-topic and I'm sure I can find the answer with a little searching. Thanks for all the help guys!)

eid

Archived