Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New CCD question

dmahon

I've got an SXVF-H9, and whilst it's great, I'd like to move to something that allows me to take a slightly wider field. The 8300 series cameras would initially appear to be the obvious choice, however the pixel size is a bit small and I'm not that keen on the full-frame with shutter either. The other option would be something like the Atik 4000/SXVR-H16 which has a bigger pixel size - even bigger than my SXVF-H9.

So:

Why are there so few of them in use?

Is there much to choose between the Atik and SX versions?

I have two Atik 4000s and ask myself the same question! Why is it not more popular? I absolutely love the camera and have mono and OSC versions. The square chip makes the most of the best part of the light cone. It saves you dithering over how to frame things, too... The chip is more sensitive than the 8300 but the pixel size depends on your preferred FL. I go down to 200mm with mine but that is below what is ideal, obviously.

So, 4000 chip? A resounding Yes. Atik or SX? Atik for me, partly out of habit but also because the software is incomparably better and, anecdotally, so may be the reliability. A friend had trouble imaging with his SX last summer. It struggled to hold -15C (when my Atik was holding -20C) and has been back for modification. My gear gets very long hours of use indeed and I haven't even changed the dessicant in my older camera after nearly three years. I have five Atiks in use and only one ever needed attention. It was turned round by Rui Tripa at Atik literally overnight.

Service from both firms is very good.

I went from the 285 chip to the 4000, as you are planning to do, and relish the increased field.

Olly

Lol I'm with u there G!

I'm more likely to try and get down to stay with Ollie...that way I'll short cut months of frustration too! Maybe next winter....

That would be nice. I'm working on winter observing comforts at the moment...

Olly

Having been at Olly's in November last year and spent a night imaging with my feet in 9 inches of snow I think moving to a roll off roof from a roll of shed is a great idea!!!! My feet have nearly thawed out!!

Helen

Having been at Olly's in November last year and spent a night imaging with my feet in 9 inches of snow I think moving to a roll off roof from a roll of shed is a great idea!!!! My feet have nearly thawed out!!

Helen

Oh, you Brits... Up here, in the cold Nordic, we image outside at -30°C and two feet of snow all the time! You just "dress for the occasion" :)

/p

While the shipped SX software may be naff, Nebulosity (which you already have) is an excellent choice for capturing.

Choosing between Atik and SX when comparing identical chip models... I don't know if there is that much in it. The electronics inside are going to be pretty much of a muchness and I'm sure both companies use choice components.

I'd say the regulated (C-core?) PSU that SX use is way better than a generic 12V switched-mode PSU. Like with audio, anything that uses an AD convertor gets a performance increase when the PSU performance is better. Having said that, once you start stacking images this may not have the same relevance as it does with audio.

I do prefer the form factor of SX cameras as they offer the possibility of using an SCT with Hyperstar although this is a minor consideration.

As for the popularity of something like the 4000. I think it comes down to one thing.. The price.

I'd love one myself but suspect without a similarly priced scope to put it on, it would be overkill. I've got a habit of splurging on gadgets (as I'm sure a lot of us here do) and have really had to reign myself in since getting into astro-photography lest I end up with a bank balance redder than a drunkards nose. God help me if I ever win big on the lottery.. It would be gone in a week! heh :)

Alan

Archived