Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello EMS from Chellaston

MattSett

Hi all,

I've posted a hello on the 'welcome' forum, and was pointed this way. I have a sky watcher explorer 150p still packaged til Christmas unfortunately, can't wait to get my hands on it! How portable is it? I can't really tell because of the 2 big boxes it's in. I've found what I think are a couple of good viewing spots. One unfortunately may soon be built on though.

Anyway it's great to have found what looks to be a great site, with a lot of East Midlanders!

See you in the dark soon

Matt

Hi Matt,

Glad you found us, we have two dark sites one near Bleper and the other just off J24 of the M1.When the weather is clear (!) we occasionally meet up for viewing or a pint!.

The new scope will give you a good start, what you need now is the Pocket Sky Atlas so that you can learn where to point it when you get it out of the box. Also have a look at Turn Left At Orion which is also a good starhoppers guide.

Cheers

Hi mat, not far from me, I'm in sandiacre.

The 150 is a very nice useable scope, you'll have great fun with it, try downloading stellarium, It's a free download that shows you what's in the sky in your area, very usefull, hope to see you down the dark site soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

The path to Robin Wood was one of the spots I had in mind. It's high up and has a long unbroken horizon. You can see the airport and Nottingham so I guess there'll be a bit of light pollution. The other spot was Chellaston hilltop. Again a big southern horizon, but some light from the A50 junction.

As for a pocket sky atlas, what would be the best buy? I know my way around most of the constellations, but not having had a scope before, will need a lot of help with deep sky stuff!

Cheers for your help,

Matt

Archived