Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

T rings and adapters

Akyra

My dad has an old Pentax K bayonet 35mm SLR that I would like to use to take snaps through my telescope. I'm not looking to do long exposures as I cant track them with my dob (until I get around to making a platform).

I found this n eBay and its going fairly cheap.

I've looked on FLO and found the right T ring and the 1.25" adapter comes to just under £30 quid, but if the above ring will fit then I would like to save myself a few bob.

Thanks, Philip

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might need to be the 1.25" if you want to use your barlow or if

you have to use your barlow due to not enough "in focus" travel on your scope

I made a 2" adapter for my camera ( just to make sure I got good clearance - no vignetting ) but then I had to buy a 2" barlow!!

John

I would just like to thank Steve personally for his amazing service. I ordered the T mount adapter yesterday at 1:40pm and it turned up this morning.

Keep up the great work Steve and good luck with your blossoming business.

Right everything arrived and all was screwed together, slipped into the focuser, mount adjusted to take extra weight.

I only have a electricity pylon, which is partly obscured by a leafy bush, visible from my back garden to test this out on until it turns dark. The problem I got is that I cannot focus on anything whatsoever when the T mount is fully inserted into the focuser.

I have to hold the camera+Tmount/ring at least 3 inches entirely away from the focuser to focus on the leafy bush twigs, while the pylon is only just (and I mean 'just') distinguishable at full focuser retraction.

I had this same trouble with the webcam I hacked up. Please help!

Just did, and I tried it in every way possible. From the standard way to removing the scopes 1.25" adapter and putting it in the 2" hole, nothing would bring the moon to focus. :police:

I really hope I haven't wasted money on this.

I have to hold the camera+Tmount/ring at least 3 inches entirely away from the focuser to focus on the leafy bush twigs, while the pylon is only just (and I mean 'just') distinguishable at full focuser retraction.

I had this same trouble with the webcam I hacked up. Please help!

So do you need more out travel (easy, take the lens bit off a Barlow) or in travel for distant stuff?

If its inward travel, and you have the Synta Newt. focuser, unscrew the tube bit on the 1.25" EP holder to reveal the T thread and screw your camera T adapter onto that.

Captain Chaos

Thanks gepetto for the advice via PM, slipping a barlow into the mix gave me a nice clear focus on the moon. I just took 4 snaps of the moon but I think it was a bit bright so I'm gonna try again a little later this evening, aswell as attempts on saturn and venus.

I wont be able to see the result for about a bit though, I've got the equipment I just need to buy developing chemicals now, the downside of not owning a Digital SLR.... :police:

Still, I think they are gonna turn out great!

I took the 1.25" focus adapter off, and inside was a thread, thing is the thread is on the inside of the tube so its useless to me as the thread is also on the inside of the T-Ring.

thing is the thread is on the inside of the tube so its useless to me

Are you sure?

Double check because there is usually a thread on the inside and on the outside of the

bit that's left after you've removed the adaptor...

My 2" > 1.25" adapter isnt screwed in, it uses thumb screws to hold it in place. Both the 2" holder and 1.25" holder have small short tubes inside, which close around the eyepiece when the thumb screws are tightened.

OK, sounds a different one then.

Only way round it is to move the mirror up the tube towards the secondary.

You can sometimes get away with moving the mirror a bit by turning the collimation

screws till they are nearly at the end of their threads.

Anyway, best to stick with using the barlow to get some practice in :police:

Archived