Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomers warm clothing.

Hi folks

I recently had a conversation with some people at SP3 and they showed an interest in the long cold resistant paded trousers that i wear on long observing sessions.

Here is a pic and the link from where you can buy them if you require.

Don't be under any illusions here people these are the dogs danglies......

18C0400.jpg

http://www.arco.co.uk/cgi-bin/arcobvp.dll/Arco/controller?event=product&BV_SessionID=@@@@0249044897.1179382140@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddkllmejlkcflgcefkdfggdfon.0&productcode=18C0400

Cold weather + warm clothing = happy astronomer.

Also, have a look at winter sports clothing, designed to keep you warm and windproofed on top of snow capped mountains... I got a pair of salopettes (trousers) from the Vans outlet store in Braintree for £20. My jacket cost £250 but it is lovely..

The Norweigans have a saying: 'There's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing'.

I bought a similar item of clothing from a local fishermans shop but in green. Both my main dark (ish) sites are often exposed to a cold wind so dressing appropriately is essential. I usually wear two hats, a woollen balaclava and another looser one on top. There's something to be said for being able to stay out until 5am when the temperature is -5o in mid winter without feeling cold. All the kit makes me look huge though and when I get home a circular patch centred on my eyes is normally pretty red and raw from the cold...

The only real problem I've had when all kitted up is that taking a leak can become quite a time consuming and complicated exercise :)

Archived