NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Excellent last night with my Dob - 22nd Nov

JamesC

Had a really good last night out with my 300p Dob (now sold) on Tuesday. Drove out to Dartmoor and got set up reasonably early. Got a last view of M13 - not the best but pretty good. The transparency was excellent. Got a really good view of the Veil. Also went round M57 M27, M15, M31, M33, NGC891 and M76. Took a look at M81/82 but they were a bit too low to be at their best. I watched as Io emerged from the shadow of Jupiter - really loved that. It was good to do something new on my last night with the scope. Finally I went down M38, M36, M37, M35 and finished up with M42. I had been hoping to get a good view of the Great Red Spot on Jupiter to end with but the seeing had deteriorated singificantly by then.

All round a really good last night with my scope. I had it for 3 years and it was a real voyage of discovery for me. It's a pity to let it go, but all good things come to an end. I've seen all the best Messiers and Caldwell object visible from the UK with a large aperture under a dark sky so it's been pretty sweet.

SGL has been an enormous help. I've learnt so much from the community on this forum that I would never have gathered from books. I sometimes wonder how people coped before the internet!

Ironically now I've finished what will probably be the most intensive observing phase of my life I'm now thinking of spending more than ever on (compact) telescopes that I will probably only use occasionally! I think I need help.

Here are some snaps from my last night out with my Dob.

Scope with Princetown in the background:

DSCF0048.JPG

Me, scope and car with Plough above my head!

DSCF0049.JPG

The summer triangle setting behind some trees:

DSCF0051.JPG

Partly because I've seen all the best things to see with a 12" from Dartmoor and partly because of my circumstances. What do I do, keep going round and round the sky looking at the same objects time and time again? It's something I would like to do occasionally, especially with company, but I can't see myself observing as regularly now. It would be nice to have kept the 12" but I rent the garage where I've been storing some stuff including the scope and car and I don't have room here. The garage is costing me a new telescope a year. My car is increasingly decrepit and even if it gets through the next MOT OK I don't think I'll be comfortable driving it for much longer (anyone want a car?) When I get rid of the car in a few months time I'm going to try and go car free. I'm planning to get a scope or two that will fit in a cupboard.

Great, poignant report, is there a reason you are scaling back your observing?

I had my best night ever last night, but ended up chilled to the bone. Hope the new owner of your scope will enjoy it as much as you have.

Chris

Nice report.

An interesting read. If you are satisfied looking at the brightest objects in the sky, then I agree with your reasons for selling the Dob.

I would however not agree with scaling back your observing, with a new scope comes new challenges. Specially a smaller one. Things easy in the 12" could be a real hunt in a small scope.:icon_confused:

When you use a small scope after years with a large one it can be very rewarding to see how your observing skills have moved on.

Regards Steve

I am sorry you feel is necessary to scale back to a smaller scope I think you will really miss the big Dob.

To keep my enjoyment/interest after I completed the Messier list and viewed the best objects in the Caldwell list I decided to expand my knowledge first by viewing Steve O'Meara's Hidden Treasurers. I then started to track down the Herschel 400 and more recently the 600 plus objects in the Deep Sky Watch website - Illustrated DSO guide - Deep Sky Watch

So many DSOs and star hopping makes the hunt that much more enjoyable.

Whatever you decide best of luck with your future involvement.

Mark

Archived