NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQMOD 'Not Responding'!!

pritc

I need help!!:mad:

I need a better mind than myself, to work out what is wrong with my EQMOD set up......:o

A couple of months ago I upgraded my mount to a HEQ5 SynTrek.

Running EQMOD & CDC to control it.

I purchased a HitecAstro EQdirect adaptor from FLO.

Initial set up went well, all seemed fine.Had a great couple of nights, aligning & viewing.:)

But over the last month,when I come to set up EQMOD ready for a nights viewing, it locks out 'Not Responding'

I posted the question to the EQMOD Yahoo group.The returned answer was that it might be a USB cable issue.

To first control the mount, I had first purchased a cheap £1.49 USB a-b cable from E-Bay.Thinking that was the problem, I ordered a second from a well known company for a higher price.

Installed that cable and SUCCESS it worked again!! :(

A week later,when I had clear skies.I set up again and was met with the same EQMOD 'Not Responding':mad:

Thinking it was the cable. I ventured into the house and borrowed the a-b USB cable from our Epson scanner.

Installed that and SUCCESS again all worked!!

Last night we had clear skies.Set up again,EQMOD 'Not Responding'...........:mad:

I am thinking that 3 x a-b USB cables cannot be at fault,and it was pure coincidence that every time I changed the cable it worked!!

(I have since used 'said' cables on my scanner, printer & USB powered hub with no problems!!)

I then thought I might have a driver problem with the computer in my Obs.So I borrowed the Family laptop downloaded all relevant drivers and software (Ascom 6/Eqmod, CDC,etc........)

Plugged it in and was met with the same EQMOD 'Not Responding'.

I was then going to post a thread, but noticed swag72 with a EQMOD "Stopped Working"thread.

Chris had said to delete the 'emod.ini file' to restore EQMOD back to default.

So I did just that.

Set up again,found COM port.Aquired GPS location from my GPS USB dongle.Chose 'slew rate 4' and checked that I could slew.

Success it worked.......:(:hello2:

Opened up CDC.connected scope control,picked Altair to check slew.

'Slew to star'..................EQMOD 'Not Responding'

:):BangHead::):BangHead::(

I have not heard about any issues or problems with the HitecAstro EQdirect adaptor.

So WHAT can it be???? :)

Please advise......:o

Sorry for going on, but I have been trying to resolve this myself,But I have now reached the end of my tether.

I have even thought of purchasing a SW Synscan GOTO hand set, just to get up and running.....:):eek:

Wayne

post-18037-133877698251_thumb.jpg

Oddly enough, I just had a "no-name" EQDirect interface box fail on me. It lost contact and the bare box gave "USB device not recognised" from then on. In desperate plight, I had (prematurely!) stripped down the HEQ5, checking for continuity. But, with no obvious possibility, I bought a new EQdirect interface. This one is probable the same, but named and labeled HitechAstro. But at 40+ quid a pop, I hope this is not going to become a feature or habit... :)

I would try plugging the bare box into the computer... Does it still recognise it as a USB device? Does it still assign a COM port? Mine didn't, once it had "failed". Thankfully, there was nothing wrong with my HEQ5 Syntrek tho'. :)

It could indeed be the Hitec Unit although I am not aware of any issues with this device but it is more likely a poor connection caused by a damaged socket. A simple test, set up in the comfort of your home and try simply unplugging and re-plugging the cable - I suspect that all your cables are OK and that it is the action of unplugging/plugging in that is resolving the issue.

I would try plugging the bare box into the computer... Does it still recognise it as a USB device? Does it still assign a COM port? Mine didn't, once it had "failed". Thankfully, there was nothing wrong with my HEQ5 Syntrek tho'. :icon_confused:

I do not have an issue with a COM port being found.

I have unplugged and plugged the EQDirect into a different COM port and my computer finds it straight away.

All the pre set up works fine in EQMOD toolbox.(Driver set up,test connect)

EQMOD works fine (I can change settings,slew rates,Gamepad config,GPS, etc...)

It is not until I send a slew command or tracking command (Sidereal,lunar,solar)to the mount that it locks out 'Not Responding':mad:

Wayne

It could indeed be the Hitec Unit although I am not aware of any issues with this device but it is more likely a poor connection caused by a damaged socket. A simple test, set up in the comfort of your home and try simply unplugging and re-plugging the cable - I suspect that all your cables are OK and that it is the action of unplugging/plugging in that is resolving the issue.

I have a permanent set up (ROR obs/warm room)

So cables are not touched between sessions.

I might have to give FLO a ring on Monday,to see if they have ever had any HitecAstro EQdirect interface problems.

I am sure I have read somewhere about loose or shoddy soldering points on the mount motherboards........:rolleyes:

(But I think that was more to do with the power side of the board)

But to be honest.:icon_confused:

I would not know where to start. apart from a visual inspection of the board.

Wayne

Wayne,

Have you updated anything recently, ASCOM drivers, EQMOD, or windows updates ?

1) Try changing the settings in CdC to use a scope simulator rather than normal ASCOM EQ5/6 driver.

2) Try downloading Winstars2 Introduction to WinStars 2 and see if that connects to the ASCOM driver and moves the scope. This could eliminate CdC a cause for EQMOD not to respond

3) Is the Hitech device connected direct or via a hub. If using a HUB then try a direct connection (probably already done this ??)

4) do a clean un-install and re-install of EQMOD, making sure all the ini files have been removed

Hope that helps

Hi Malcolm,:icon_confused:

Wayne,

Have you updated anything recently, ASCOM drivers, EQMOD, or windows updates ?

No recent updates apart from a couple of Windows security updates(but it was not working before these)

1) Try changing the settings in CdC to use a scope simulator rather than normal ASCOM EQ5/6 driver.

?????

2) Try downloading Winstars2 Introduction to WinStars 2 and see if that connects to the ASCOM driver and moves the scope. This could eliminate CdC a cause for EQMOD not to respond

EQMOD locks out with Stellarium via stellarium scope aswell

3) Is the Hitech device connected direct or via a hub. If using a HUB then try a direct connection (probably already done this ??)

HitecAstro device is connected direct via a 5Mtr USB Active Extension Cable.

But I have also tried it direct with no extension

4) do a clean un-install and re-install of EQMOD, making sure all the ini files have been removed

I have cleared all ini files.Installed EQMOD about 3 times.I have even tried a earlier released version

Wayne

:icon_confused::icon_scratch::rolleyes:

I am currently sitting in my obs/warm room.

Apart from turning the main sockets off last night.I have not touched a thing since going back to the house.

I have just powered up my mount, loaded EQMOD and CDC.........

It works.........(but for how long???????)

NOW I AM CONFUSED!!!!!

I must have a intermittent signal break somewhere,or my set up just does not like the cold!!!

Solar observing only for me........ ;)

I will have to try later...weather permitting

I still need to find the cause because I feel it will happen again & again.

Wayne

Wayne, Not as bad as yours but when I get that message I unplug my usb hub and reconnect, that normally clears things. Sometimes I have to unplug the usb hub to HiTech cable, but again its an unplug/replug job.

Mines a permanent set-up so I'm not continually setting-up / tearing-down...

I too use CdC and EQMOD to control my NEQ6 Pro (version 1.23s at the moment)

Wayne, Not as bad as yours but when I get that message I unplug my usb hub and reconnect, that normally clears things. Sometimes I have to unplug the usb hub to HiTech cable, but again its an unplug/replug job.

Mines a permanent set-up so I'm not continually setting-up / tearing-down...

I too use CdC and EQMOD to control my NEQ6 Pro (version 1.23s at the moment)

I also have a permanent set up.

That is why I cannot understand,why like last night it did not work at all.

I spent 3hrs trying to get it working.,gave up (Still not working)

Started everything back up this afternoon and it now works!!!

:icon_confused::icon_scratch:

Wayne

Archived