Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Atik 314L - What is going on in this picture?

swag72

My Atik 314L had been running for about 3 hours tonight at -11. When I was trying to frame something I began to get strange lines across my screen as I was looping on a short exposure 3x bin.

So screen grab as you can see below. Then I took a image at 7 secods 1x bin and got all these lines across the .fit image. There must be somethig wrong here.

What the hell is going on here. Just the end to another woeful night in the obs, when I should be as happy as larry.

post-18339-13387769817_thumb.jpg

post-18339-133877698176_thumb.jpg

I've put it all away now in a fit of utter madness. What cable do you suggest changing next time I want to waste a few more hours .............. (Sorry!) - The data cable? Honestly, I've had enough of this - I think I'll be putting my DSLR on next time.

I've put it all away now in a fit of utter madness. What cable do you suggest changing next time I want to waste a few more hours .............. (Sorry!) - The data cable? Honestly, I've had enough of this - I think I'll be putting my DSLR on next time.

I can only sympathise. Yes I mean the data cable.

First night out with my 314L I had distortion and I was using the cheapest nastiest data cable you have ever seen. Problem resolved with a different (albeit better) cable.

do you have access to a meter for testing the voltage into the camera?

Is the camera cable plugged directly into the computer, or is there an extension?

My lodestar stopped being recognised the other night after working fine for half the session....still no idea why, but when I bypassed the normal cable run and connected new cables, it was fine....all I'd done was a meridian flip!!

As you're using an obsy now, run everything from a regulated mains power supply that will give you a stable 13.8v wih a good current rating....I'm very 'belt and braces', but run the mount and cameras on a supply that can provide 30 amps.....way more than I need, but it means that nothing is ever pushed to the limit. My dew heaters run from a separate supply as running them from thr same supply can interfere with things when they turn on and off.

I sympathise too, particularly having also had a very frustrating evening! During the daytime I got my new obsy build weatherproof (though not finished) so when the sky cleared this evening I put my scope out there on the mount. No power arranged yet so pointed it manually at Jupiter and used my 20mm EP. I couldn't see a thing! Wouldn't work on street lights across the valley either. Have to check things out in daylight. Then I thought I'd take some star trails with my DSLR and I couldn't get that to work either. I think tonight must have been hexed!! :)

I agree with Rob in that it looks like low power.

My lodestar produced similar effect until I started using it on a powered uSB hub. Works fine now.

I'd also second the shift to a bench power supply. If you are draining your batteries down then they may not be performing to their best. Under voltage could potentially damage components. I know that the EQ controller boards are very sensitive to this and not that cheap to replace!

But also remember you're coming on leaps and bounds...don't get too mad, think of all the friends you're making here with all the questions. :)

Cheers all for the support - I run the mount and hub off the mains power. I am sourcing a mains power adaptor for the Atik, but meanwhile it's running off a battery that is also drip charging via the mains. I'm just loathe to pay 39€ for an Atik mains lead - I'm trying to find a EU 2 pin adaptor.

I know what u mean about adaptor costs!

That and other ancillary bits is where some manufacturers just take the Micky.

How good are you with a soldering iron? You might like to consider knocking up a 12v distribution hub at the mount and then you'll be sorted for future accessories (maybe a light box or photo luminescent panel?).

There are a few examples kicking around the DIY section of the forum, most of which run off a bench supply as mentioned by Rob.

Soldering iron ......... What's one of those then? :)

No not good with them! Will have a look around on Amazon.de and .fr to see if I can find a third party one, then the good folks on SGL can give it the once over for me!!

I think the first would be fine...Check the tech specs in your manual, but having looked at the atik site in the manual for the 314L+ it would appear a 2.1mm tip +ve 12v 0.8A adaptor will do the job. You can always have more Amps, just make sure you have an inline fuse to protect the unit from too much damage should a fault develop that causes it to draw more power.

Personally I'd still look at a centralised bench powersupply from which you can take a number of 12v feeds....even in an obs there is a risk of condensation etc, and the fewer mains power bits you have the better IMHO.

12V Distribution System - Accessories -Astrodevelopments

If you drop John Rose an email (link above), he may be able to knock you something up for not too many Euros...you can also skype him if you wanted to chat something through.

A 12v supply system will see you good for many years.

Classic power shortage response.. These cameras meed over 12v

When your drawing power to dew straps and mount you better have a powerful supply..

Heres what my 383L does when it drops below 12v

large.jpg

large.jpg

And when the dew straps are turned off

large.jpg

I think the first would be fine...Check the tech specs in your manual, but having looked at the atik site in the manual for the 314L+ it would appear a 2.1mm tip +ve 12v 0.8A adaptor will do the job. You can always have more Amps, just make sure you have an inline fuse to protect the unit from too much damage should a fault develop that causes it to draw more power.

Personally I'd still look at a centralised bench powersupply from which you can take a number of 12v feeds....even in an obs there is a risk of condensation etc, and the fewer mains power bits you have the better IMHO.

12V Distribution System - Accessories -Astrodevelopments

If you drop John Rose an email (link above), he may be able to knock you something up for not too many Euros...you can also skype him if you wanted to chat something through.

A 12v supply system will see you good for many years.

Alternatively, Maplin do 13.8v PSUs which many on here use :- 13.8V Regulated Mains Power Units : Bench Power Supplies : Maplin Electronics

I have 1 regulated power supply providing 3A to the mount and 1 Laptop power supply providing 5A to DEW controller, focuser and filter wheel. both cameras have seperate power supllies....you can never have too many! I aim to pick up another Laptop power supply as they come with a range of adapter ends. The QHY8L can take a fair bit of current so i'll stick that on its own (it will probably draw a fair bit for cooling in the summer here.

Alternatively, Maplin do 13.8v PSUs which many on here use :- 13.8V Regulated Mains Power Units : Bench Power Supplies : Maplin Electronics

Yup in fact I run with a Maplins Bench PSU...I only mentioned JR as if you're not too keen to solder/ build a distribution box (for at the scope power distribution) he may be able to help.

This is mine (self built)

http://stargazerslounge.com/members/mg1-albums-hub-tidy-cable-picture4408-power-pack-inside-tent.jpg

connecting to:

http://stargazerslounge.com/members/mg1-albums-hub-tidy-cable-picture4405-hub-front-connectors-l-r-6-x-cable-out-rj11-st4-rj45-lvi-cam-eqdir-mount-usb-filter-wheel-usb-cam-spare-switched-fused-2amp-12v-mount-switched-used-7amp-12v-kendrick.jpg

Not as fancy as some though...check out Chris's here...quite the job:

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/149930-power-data-box.html#post1892910

lots of fun to be had if you get yourself an iron!

Archived