Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any good 0.965" eyepiece recommendations?

E621Keith

I recently acquired a Vixen GA4 guider from evilbay. It turned out seller failed to mention it was a 0.965" model, I contacted him and he promptly offered me a reasonable discount, so I decided to keep it and buy adapters from Astroboot.

Those adapters arrived today, but I found none of my 1.25" eyepiece will reach focus on the illuminated reticule. The reason being none off them can get deep enough into the guider to reach focus.

Are there any decent 0.965" eyepieces. Those I found are either Huygens and SR from Ebay, which are waste of money, or the £210(ex tax) Pentax XP shipping from Japan, but that is way outside my budget.

Thanks in advance

I've bought from KK a few years back. No problems whatsoever.

I have a Siebert eyepiece(Starsplitter series), bought 2nd hand. Very nice eyepiece. I believe he makes them per order, so there could be a wait. Not 100% sure on that though. He seems to get a the thumbs up from US astronomers.

Andy.

I have a Vixen GA4 for 1-1/4 inch eyepieces, but my televue and other eyepieces dont reach the graticule focus either. I haven't read the instructions carefully yet. I can reach focus with a 2x barlow in hte GA4, then the eyepice.

What i'm saying is don't assune that if you have some 0.965 eyepieces they will necessarily focus.

I'm going to check the instrucitons to see if there is a way to focus on the graticule with just the eyepiece.

I have a few Swift eyepieces from years ago in 0.965. Obviously there are loads of 0.965 eyepieces around from the cheaper 60mm reafractors that are around Ebay

The Zeiss are well outside my budget and I can't justify spending that much on an eyepiece mainly used for guiding / centring GOTO.

I was looking for a 0.965" that's not SR, H, or MA. A plossl would be fine for the job, but no one in Europe seems to make/use decent midrange eyepiece in 0.965" any more, and who could blame them, there just isn't a market for 0.965".

I've not use orthos before, but I would be interested to see what they're like.

I recently acquired a Vixen GA4 guider from evilbay. It turned out seller failed to mention it was a 0.965" model, I contacted him and he promptly offered me a reasonable discount, so I decided to keep it and buy adapters from Astroboot.

Those adapters arrived today, but I found none of my 1.25" eyepiece will reach focus on the illuminated reticule. The reason being none off them can get deep enough into the guider to reach focus.

Are there any decent 0.965" eyepieces. Those I found are either Huygens and SR from Ebay, which are waste of money, or the £210(ex tax) Pentax XP shipping from Japan, but that is way outside my budget.

Thanks in advance

perhaps a barlow before the adaptor to extend the focal plane ?

works for CCDs and webcams in my Newt...

Archived