NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Opticstar AR80

I have just purchased the AR80S Gold and I am currently deciding on eye pieces etc:-

Opticstar AR80S Gold refractor telescope.

The build quality of these scopes seems to be very good and the guys at Opticstar are very helpful.

I bought mine to complement my Mak 127 and to use as a travel scope when abroad. I liked the look of the AR80 but for me it was a bit too long.

Very nice! Can you let me know how you get on with it please?

I hope to finalise the e/ps and accessories with Opticstar this coming week and as soon as I receive them and get some clear skies I will give you an update.

In the meantime you could have a look at this thread by Johninderby - if you haven't already seen it:-

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/157436-opticstar-ar80s-gold-first-impressions.html

Cheers Robin

• 6 months later...

I have the ar80 and although I've only had it out the once for a quick scan around the sky after getting home from work late one night I was very impressed with the quality of the optics,for the money it a true bargain .

It would be interesting to know how you got on with it over the winter.

Over the winter I used the AR80S on about half of the possible viewing occasions and spent time getting to know the scope and the eyepiece combinations. (Otherwise I used the MAK127)

I found the Celestron 8 - 24 Zoom the most used EP followed by the Ascension 11mm UWA 80 degree (36x approx Tru FOV 2.2 degrees)

I used the scope mainly on a Skywatcher AltAZ mount but as the winter wore on I began to appreciate that my skies are much more light polluted that I had realised (particularly after I took a trip out to the local AS site!) It was no wonder that I was having difficulty finding objects!!

The solution was to purchase a S/W AltAZ GOTO in the spring and I am now beginning to locate more of the celestial wonders. The scope works very well with this mount, especially when stabilised by a 7Kg bag of sand.

The CA was not an issue for me when looking at widefield objects but I think a semi APO filter would help with higher magnification Lunar work. The Baader one may fit the bill.

I use the scope with a Multireticule Red Dot Finder of the Rigel / W/O clone variety which I found ideal for my needs - even using it with the GOTO mount - as it helps me better identify the area of sky I am looking at - which I can then explore with binos should I wish to.

I found no mechanical issues with scope - it is solidly built and will take a 2" diagonal - I am currently exploring this possibility and the use of a 2" EP as I have a 2" diagonal on my Mak 127 - which fits the AR80S.

The scope was chosen as a portable travel scope and works well on a quality photo tripod. It will be accompanying me on my caravan trips.

This coming winter I really must keep a proper log of my observing then I should be able to give a better report of what I have seen with the scope and how it performs optically!!

Hope this helps

Nice one Nibor. Nearly went for one of these myself, and have heard very good things about both the scope and the Opticstar people.

I find keeping a note book really helpful for working out best EP/diagonal combos as well. Unfortanately not mich gone in the book recently - got bored of writing "cloudy tonight, no observing" :-(.

Archived