NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

250px or 8" SCT

Christmas is coming up and it is time to treat myself...

This will be my first scope so I am coming at this as a beginner. I am torn between the 250px and either the nexstar 8se or the C8 SGT.

Obviously a big price difference from the dob but will it be worth it in the long run?

Can I also expect 10 year life expectancy from the celestrons if cared for or are they prone to break?

Should I be considering anything else for similar budgets?

Thanks

Chris

I guess the answer depends on your current and future viewing / imaging interests Chris.

In a way these scopes are "different horses for different courses" so more info from you would help shape opinions / recommendations.

Atr present my interests are purely visual. I dont envisage that changing anytime soon but from alot of the posts I have read on here things always change or the temptation is always there so I guess having the option may be a good thing?

I should have also said it the the Dob 250px that I am considering.

I'm also looking for the best allrounder not just focusing on DSO or our planets. GOTO is a nice advantage but you obviously do pay for it!

It may sound like I am trying to talk myself into the SCT but I am trying to keep impartial :)

Go for the Dob and give yourself a year or so to learn the sky and about scopes in general. Then decide which route you want to go down.

You may well stay with the Dob, you may not. It would be a satisfying instrument for years and aperture fever would not rear it's head for a long time, if ever!

Regardless, the Dob would be able to be easily sold on for a good proportion of it's new price, after you have decided what you really want to do.

Astronomy can be very expensive for those in a hurry"

One of your questions was do the break easily, I'd say you could have any of these scopes for years, but they are very different animals, goto can be a bit more fidilly compared to a dob, and a sct being f10 might just give you better image scale on planets but will be more expensive than a dob

Hi Chris,

Have you had an opportunity to play with these bad boys??. Before making any decision as they are a considerable expense I would try them at an astro shop or better still in action with a local group.

I have had a 8" newt and now I am settled on a 10" sct. If you have used neither in anger it be an unwise purchase!!.

Cheers

I have viewed through a 12" lightbridge and the Nexstar 8se although conditions were poor to say the least so I doubt I have seen full potential!

Size of either isn't a concern for me.

If you have nice dark skies, the 10" plus a few essential accessories would probably give you the best views and would save you a chunk of cash compared to the SCT if you got the solid tube manual version.

It is a lovely scope and very easy to transport and use.

If you are mostly observing from home and suffer from light pollution, then an SCT (or 8" Newt) on a GoTo mount might allow you to find some of the fainter things that are not so easy to starhop to.

Not an easy decision.

Edit: unless you are thinking of the GoTo Dob in which case the dob wins even more?

If size doesn't bother you why not go with the 12" Lightbridge, it will give better visual images than either of the others?

Regards Steve

Thinking about this option more and more. I originally said 12" was too big for me but unsure why obviously being truss it will go in the car no problem at all!

Seen a recent deal on this for £779 with a cheshire and 4000 kit included which seems like a good deal.

Not an easy answer. If you can afford a C8 then you can afford a large Goto Dob, so no help in looking at it cost wise.

If I were in your position, I probably go for the C8, especially as another poster said if you live in the city. Coupled with a few ultra wide eyepieces, you can magnify a lot and still have a wide view.

If you are going to transport your scope by car, and the 12" lightbridge will fit in it, providing you can manage to lift the parts of it ok.

Then it's a no brainier.the lightbridge 12" by a country mile.

For mobile astronomy a truss tube Dob is the definitive piece of kit.

The ability to bring large aperture to dark skies is what makes the truss tube Dob a winner.

Many on this forum talk of the importance of taking advantage of any clear skies. What better way to take advantage of our few clear nights than to take a large Dob to an ink black sky?

The views you will get.:icon_confused:

Regards Steve

If you are going to transport your scope by car, and the 12" lightbridge will fit in it, providing you can manage to lift the parts of it ok.

Then it's a no brainier.the lightbridge 12" by a country mile.

For mobile astronomy a truss tube Dob is the definitive piece of kit.

The ability to bring large aperture to dark skies is what makes the truss tube Dob a winner.

Many on this forum talk of the importance of taking advantage of any clear skies. What better way to take advantage of our few clear nights than to take a large Dob to an ink black sky?

The views you will get.:icon_confused:

Regards Steve

Spot on. A 12" will beat the C8 at every turn, except in size. Since size is not an issue, go for the 12" flextube. My C8 has done excellent service for 15+ years, and I can take it anywhere, even in a Peugeot 106. In the Renault Espace I could take a C14, but the missus, the kids and the camping gear also have to fit, so the C8 it is for me. I am looking at a big dob to complement the C8.

Archived