Still Having problems polar align

Hello all,

After getting my new scope and mount i am having some real big problems polar aligning the mount HEQ5.

I have really just been using the scope and mount for visual work at the moment which has been great, but have taken a few images and found i had star trails. When i posted the images on here i found that i was slightly off on polar align. Anyway i have been making ajustments and have found myself in a worse postion than when i started.

Can anyone give me any advice on polar aligning my mount.

Many thanks

If you move the mount about every time you use it you will need to Polar Align every time, my mount has 3 small indents in the patio slabs so its setup only the once, well it seems to work no star trails since i drilled to indents, my own Polar Aligning was quite basic, get the pole star in the Polar Scope line it up on the outer ring, then set it so night sky is the same as the Polar Scope, the hard bit is sitting under the mount peering through the Polar scope but i suppose its age that does that.

the hard bit is sitting under the mount peering through the Polar scope but i suppose its age that does that.

Nice to hear I'm not the only one. And I'd love a fiver for each time I look through the polar scope and then lift my head and bang it on the scope :)

I find the best time to set up is just as it's going dark - when it's light enough to see the markings on the polar scope, but just dark enough to make out Polaris. I do take the scope out a bit earlier though to cool down.

Thanks for the reply’s I actually have markings on my backyard where the mount is placed so thats not the main problem. Though i think the drilling holes is a great idea i will take.

Sorry i might have explained things a little wrong. Its actually getting Polaris to keep centred on the mount reticule. I thought i had it spot on but when i rotated the mount i realised that it came slightly off the centre of the reticule. I therefore adjusted the screws as it says in the manual but it is now a mile off and i can't seem to get it anywhere near. Is it just a case of perseverance.

The reticule alignment is absolutely critical and best done during the daytime. Only correct for half the error each time or you will chasing yourself into the Delta Quadrant (oops, let slip I watch 'Voyager' !).

Don't turn the adjustment grub screws more than 1/8th of a turn each time or the reticule may drop out - not terminal but a real faff!

Thanks agian everyone. I have been trying to get this sorted on a night using polaris and i have wasted many a good night.

Ah.......... Problem i have just found from your comments i have missed the "move half distance" etc..... Oh dear. No wonder its so far off now.

Time to try again and in the daylight.

Many thanks again everyone

Archived