Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Couldn't separate Gamma Andromedae

Last night my target was Gamma Andromedae (Almaak (Gamma Andromedae)). I found it easily enough with my scope but I couldn't separate the two stars at all. Apparently it should be easy to distinguish the two stars in a small scope but all I could make out was one bright yellow star (presumably Gamma 1).

I found it originally with my lowest power eyepiece (32mm) and worked up to my highest power (10mm). I have the Celestron Astromaster 114EQ which I know is a small scope at 4.5". It has a focal length of 1000m so that should put the magnification with my 10mm eyepiece at 100x, I think.

There was a lot of dew in the air last night and I had a few focusing issues because of it so I wondered if that could be the cause? Or maybe I was just looking at the wrong star completely? :)

Should I have been able to separate them easily with my gear?

Should I have been able to separate them easily with my gear?

Yes, easily separated with a scope smaller than you have.

So either you were looking at the wrong star, or the collimation is off. Did you try Jupiter ? If that was giving a sharp view with at least the two main belts, then my guess is you were viewing a star other than Gamma Andromeda.

Hope you sort it, Ed.

You will have to try again. might be some atmospheric problems. Your scope is able to separate it quite easily. If you want a little challange try iota CAS. It is a triple with 3 stars which differes in their color. I was able to split them with a 130mm newtonian scope so I think that 114 will do the job. The mount shall be very stable of course.

For gamma, if you did not manage to split either try larger magnification or at least try to see elongated shape.

Did you try Jupiter ? If that was giving a sharp view with at least the two main belts, then my guess is you were viewing a star other than Gamma Andromeda.

I did try looking at Jupiter but it just appeared as a white ball last night. Even when it does appear orangey I can never make out the belts. Not even with my 10mm eyepiece. However, when I use my SPC880 (which I believe acts as around a 6mm eyepiece) I can just about make two of the bands.

Actually, I have a photo I took of Jupiter a few weeks ago. This is scaled 1.5x in GIMP but you get the idea: http://i.imgur.com/zYLg9.png

I can separate Almaak easily with a a 70mm refractor that has a 600mm focal length using a 10mm eyepiece. So a 4.5" reflector with a 1000mm f/l using a similar eyepiece should split it easily.

I split it last night. My first look at this star, surprised to find it was a double (am new to astro).

It split in my 200p f/5. Started to split nicely at approx 60+ mag (32mm + Barlow). Even under my 6.3mm it looked stunning!

Archived