Skywatcher Explorer 150P or 150PL

Hi All

I am new to astronomy (and here) and am looking to get my first telescope in the New Year.

I have researched different types of scopes that suit my budget and have pretty much narrowed it down to the Skywatcher Explorer 150, but I am torn between the 150P or the longer 150PL.

I am looking for a scope that will be good for both planetary and deep space viewing.

Please can you advise on the main differences in viewing experience between the two? (and maybe which one to get? )

Thanks

Chris

Personally, of these two I'd choose the PL. The main differences are as follows:

PL has a longer focal length so the tube will be longer and slightly heavier. Therefore it will not be quite as solid on the mount (assuming it's the same as the one you'd get with the P). Nothing to worry about though and for visual it will be fine on the same mount as a P.

Longer focal length with the same aperture (as in your case) means a slower focal ratio (f8 vs f5). This means 'easier' collimation - it's actually the same process but accuracy is not as hyper critical as with a f5 scope. It also means that you'll get better performance on the whole from cheaper eyepieces in the PL than in the P for the wider, fainter stuff.

The difference in light gathering is null so the visual images will be the same. The differences in magnification are obvious. e.g a 25mm eyepice will give 30x in the P and 48x in the PL. These features of the PL will make for better / easier achievement of higher magnifications for planets / moon / doubles and with the same light gathering as the P.

All that said, if you are only interested in visual, then I'd go for an 8" dob. Furthermore, as I have a 6" f11 and a larger dob, I am looking to get hold of a 6" f5 for a wider field view than I currently have and to make a travel scope. Often you find that more than one scope is needed after a while of observing.

Of these two, for visual use, I would also go for the PL.

I actually have the P and it is great, but I use it more for imaging rather than viewing.

Like Moonshane, I would suggest you look at an 8" Dosonian if you are just look to observe visually.

Hmm! Tough one.

The longer version has, as Shane points out some good merits.

However the short version makes a great rich field scope that will compliment another scope well when you upgrade.

Combining the short focus length with a big 2" wide field eyepiece would give magical views of the Milky Way.:)

Either way you can't really go wrong.

Regards Steve

Speaking as a 150PL owner for nearly two years...... £270 for the 200P Dob is a steal.

The 150PL is an excellent instrument but bigger aperture rules the day. Had I my wad of cash again that's what I'd buy - the EQ3-2 was something I had to put up with so I upgraded the mount. I've basically spent the same money overall but have a smaller mirror and an unused mount that's useless to me now I have an EQ6.

The mount is something you'll want to replace since the beefier ones are actully fr easier to use and far more stable. If you don't want one and love thedob then that's great but the option of mounting a dob is always there.

The 150PL is, they say, a great starter scope and you'll love it. I've had one for nearly 3 years and am now looking at an upgrade but I'll be keeping my 150PL for a while yet. Stuck between a large Dob or getting properly into imaging but that can be quite expensive. The 150 in whatever guise: P, PL or dob is good but if you can afford the slightly larger model, so much the better. The EQ3-2 mount is OK, but it won't take more weight than the scope - anything else "bolted on" makes it a bit top heavy.

I tend to think the shorter focal length scopes are a little wasted if you cannot get away from city light pollution so in that circumstance I would prefer a longer FL to make the most of planetary, moon & double star viewing, but I hear you can still get quite acceptable views of the planets with shorter scopes.

• 1 month later...

Well after an agonizing wait for the funds to accumulate i finally did the deed this morning...

Just ordered the following - now just have to sit tight while the postie does his stuff:

SW 150PL OTA

SW EQ5 mount

Polarscope

Cheshire Collimating ep

Baader moon filter

BST Explorer 5mm ep

Flocking stuff

I am now poor for the whole of January!

Archived