NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Book advice please

Hi guys - another newbie question - which beginners books are best? I have got Collins Night Sky and find it useful but a bit hard going and the constellation maps are too small for the detail they contain (a case of style over purpose). I have the Philips Planesphere but having found Stellarium for the Laptop, it seems a little redundant. I also bought the Haynes Astronomy Manual which is my fave find so far. I am really looking for an introduction to basic things like the Celestial Sphere and star/object location, types etc which are perhaps explained in an easy narrative form rather than technical texbook style of the Collins book. Any advice would be very welcome.

Patbloke is right."Practical astronomer " is very good for basics. The way the constellations are covered is exellent. There's also basic sections on equipment ect. Good all round beginers book.

Also " backyard astronomer" is good.

What do you want the book to cover? If you want a book to help you find stuff, then get Turn Left at Orion. If you want a general introduction to stuff, then Nightwatch is an option. A good star atlas would be The Sky & Telescope Pocket Atlas. A laptop running Stellarium isn't a very good option out in the field because it produces too much light and will have issues when it gets cold. The planisphere is better for those occasions.

I have both BAG and Turn Left. If you just want to find stuff in the sky, Turn Left is good.

BAG is a bit more encyclopedic, it contains lots of stuff which may or may not be relevant to you. Certainly the eyepieces section is very useful.

-- Perry Ismangil

Archived