NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Removing Telrad base stuck on with the adhesive tape

newman

I have a Telrad base glued onto my OTA using their adhesive tape. It's near the focuser on my Evostar 120, and I want to remove it from there and put it on the tube rings (doing some DIY, will cobble together an adapter) for two reasons; one is, it prevents rebalancing the tube when a heavy ep is being used, and the other, easier to look through at targets near the zenith when it's in the middle.

Long story short, I'm wondering how to remove the adhesive strips without actually damaging the paint job of the OTA? Anyone have an idea? Thanks.

I've removed quite a few and the easiest way is to simply rub the tape with your thumb and ball it up under your thumb as you work your way along the tape. You can remove virtually all the tape this way in a couple of minutes with no danger of damaging the finish. Then use something like white spirits or Sticky Stuff Remover to wipe off the residue.

John

You can use dental floss between 2 fingers and use it as a conformal 'saw' to saw underneath the adhesive. This will allow you to remove most of the foam tape. Then you can use WD 40 to remove the adhesive residue.

Using dental floss rather than a razor or knife lessens any risk of damaging your paint finish.

• 2 months later...

I have to say a 'thank you' to Johninderby, not forgetting others' replies.

I had same problem which was only a problem in my head! I pressed hard with me thumb at one end of tape strip and it did indeedy ball up under me thumb and rolled clean off. The second strip came off almost as easily.

What little sticky stuff that was left came off easy with a bit of WD40.

3 minute job!

thank you. :)

BTW, I'm gonna reposition my Telrad base using some velcro spots.

Tim

Archived