NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter (5th go)

x6gas

OK, so I am beginning to think that I am getting somewhere. Think I need an IR filter but this is my 11HD, SPC880 with a Celestron x2 Barlow. Constructively critical comments very welcome!

Captured in SharpCap (kudos rwg!) - settings:

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=20.00

Colour Space / Compression=YUY2

Exposure=-5

Brightness=62

Contrast=32

Saturation=11

Gain=41

post-24484-133877694489_thumb.jpg

OK, so I am beginning to think that I am getting somewhere. Think I need an IR filter but this is my 11HD, SPC880 with a Celestron x2 Barlow. Constructively critical comments very welcome!

Captured in SharpCap (kudos rwg!) - settings:

Resolution=640x480

Frame Rate (fps)=20.00

Colour Space / Compression=YUY2

Exposure=-5

Brightness=62

Contrast=32

Saturation=11

Gain=41

From my own personal experience you need to capture at around 5 or 10fps so that each frame has enough data to be stretched under the wavelets. Your settings were close to my image above which suffers from the onion ring effect. If you take your image and push the 1st wavelet up you'll see what I mean. Try 15fps and then play with the exposure level. Gain above 40 seems good.

Yep 20 fps is producing video compression ringing artifacts 15fps may be ok but 10fps is what most people use. Looking good with the extra focal length! ;)

Thanks for the feedback malc-c and Space Cowboy - much appreciated.

I think I did do some capture runs last night at lower frame rates but I haven't yet processed them. The trouble was that Jupiter was jumping around all over the place so I was trying a higher frame rate to try to punch through the bad seeing...

It's good fun experimenting and I think SharpCap is great by producing a text file with settings so that you can see what works really easily.

Archived