Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quick session with new Nagler 31T5

I just got this EP, which I bought from Paulo (Pvaz), in the post yesterday, and lo and behold, we had a brief clear patch this evening (long enough to set up the C8 and look at some DSOs). I must have got some good karma from something I did (beats me what it might have been ;)). It was not fully clear, with high haze persisting, so I just wanted to check out the difference between the 40mm Paragon and the 31T5. I had a quick look at M57, which showed up quite well despite the haze. I only used the 31T5 in this case, and was pleased with its eye relief and ease of use. I had no real issues getting my eye in the right spot, and suffered no serious kidney-beaning or black outs.

M31 was next and the Double Cluster were next. Here the Paragon clearly showed a somewhat larger true FOV, but also a more washed-out background (as is to be expected). In the 31T5, the double cluster is perhaps not framed quite as nicely as in the Paragon, but the Nagler showed colours in stars more distinctly. A quick view of Jupiter ended the session. At 65.5x the finer detail did not show up too much, although one of the barges currently visible in the NEB stood out clearly. The image was quite crisp despite the haze. As clouds were approaching I packed the gear in.

The first impressions of the 31T5 are very good. I can quite easily see the whole FOV. The image is crisp, and I do not find eye positioning difficult. Things may be different in a faster scope, and I am curious to see the 5.3 deg FOV the 31T5 will give in the little APM 80mm F/6 triplet. Should be great for things like the Rosette or the North America Nebula.

It's a wonderful eyepiece Michael, congratulations !

On of my favourite ways to use it is with an 0-III filter and my Vixen 102mm F/6.5 ED refractor to gaze at the Veil Nebula complex. Both the eastern & western segments in the same FoV plus Pickerings Wisp on really dark nights ;)

It's a wonderful eyepiece Michael, congratulations !

On of my favourite ways to use it is with an 0-III filter and my Vixen 102mm F/6.5 ED refractor to gaze at the Veil Nebula complex. Both the eastern & western segments in the same FoV plus Pickerings Wisp on really dark nights ;)

I got a similar view (including Pickering's Wisp), even with the Paragon 40mm and UHC filter with the 80mm F/6, from a dark site in France (close to Olly's place), at 800 m above sea level. The detail was better with the 22mm, but the 40 showed the whole complex. A 31 mm would give a better exit pupil for more detail, and give me the whole complex. Cannot wait till next summer :):D

Glad to see you're enjoying it! :)

Thoroughly! I had another quick session with both C8 and 80mm F/6, with views of Pleiades, M31, and Double Cluster. In th F/6 the Nagler showed pinpoint stars across the entire FOV. The view was a bit washed out due to haze, but I could see the quality of the EP, and the comfort of it in a faster scope. I cannot wait for a really clear night.

Congrats Michael, it's a great eyepiece. In fact it probably used to be mine! I had to buy a replacement shortly after selling mine to Paulo a few years ago. What was I thinking!

That eyepiece has truly been all over the world.

Congrats Michael, it's a great eyepiece. In fact it probably used to be mine! I had to buy a replacement shortly after selling mine to Paulo a few years ago. What was I thinking!

That eyepiece has truly been all over the world.

An eyepiece with a real history, I see. I do not think it is going anywhere else without me for a very long time! I am not tempted (too much) by Ethoi, as the eye relief of 15mm (same as the Meade UWA 14mm I have) is a tad short for me.

Welcome to SGL, BTW

I use a 26mm Nagler and with my 16" f4 it gives (I expect) a very similar field of view. Just stunning! I agree the ease of seeing the whole field and the super quality of the bigger T5s is just brilliant. Combined with a 13mm Ethos and I need no other eyepieces really.

I use a 26mm Nagler and with my 16" f4 it gives (I expect) a very similar field of view. Just stunning! I agree the ease of seeing the whole field and the super quality of the bigger T5s is just brilliant. Combined with a 13mm Ethos and I need no other eyepieces really.

The 26T5 is great too. I used Olly's one in his 20" F/4. I don't think I could do with just two EPs. I like to adjust the exact magnification to difficult DSOs individually, as each object shows up optimally at a particular exit pupil (depending on conditions too). Of course, it is quite a luxury situation to have a box of several excellent EPs, but I am not complaining.:)

don't get me wrong Michael, I have about 8-9 other eyepieces too but these get used mainly on planets and doubles where a selection really helps. with the big dob I like to see things more in contect if possible.

I also used a closely spaced range of EPs at the high magnification end for planets, but recently I have been chasing some hard DSOs, such as the Bubble and Crescent, and have found subtle differences in magnification help for DSOs as well.

Congrats on the T5 Michael. I'm not the biggest fan of large and heavy EP's but I just can resist the huge patch of sky the 31T5 offers me when placed in the focuser.

It is a massive EP. In the 80mm it looks somewhat weird, I find. The 5.3 deg FOV is just great, however.

Welcome to SGL, BTW

Thanks Michael. I sold that 31T5 when I got a 26T5 but ultimately, while the 26T5 is a fantastic eyepiece, it cannot match the experience of looking through the larger field eye lens of the magnificent 31T5.

Thanks for the welcome. I've lurked here for a while but I just realized I need to post to get rid of this ridiculous "beginner's faq note" thing. Cheers!

Archived