Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another sleepless night !! Short tube telescope decision help!!

Hi!

I hope that the great accumulated wealth of experience in SGL will help me make up my mind on which scope to buy to complement my MAK 127 - and help me get a good nights sleep!!

I am looking for a travel / "grab and go" scope, airline hand luggage compatable, with a bias towards wide field observing and perhaps later on - astro photography.

The scope would generally be used on an AltAz mount but would occasionally be used on my EQ3 -2.

I am trying to keep the budget for the optics package to around £250 and my search so far has led me to the following scopes:-

Any of the three Opticstar scopes AR80 / AR80 gold / AR 90gold

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro.asp?p=0_10_1_1

I like these (I assume) branded scopes but would like to know more about the original equipment manufacturer.

Orion Short tube 80.

Orion ShortTube 80-A Refractor Telescope - Telescopes UK: Telescopes & Telescope Accessories in your only London shop

Is this essentially the SW ST80?

Astronomica's Star Sky 90mm...

Star Sky 90mm Achromatic Refractor

Does anyone know which tube rings might fit this scope and where it might originate from?

Skywatcher ST80

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Startravel 80 TableTop Telescope

I have considered a secondhand ED refractor but they seem to be in short supply.

I would be grateful for any comments by users of the above scopes or alternative suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

Robin

I'm pretty sure the Orion Shortube 80 is the same scope as the Skywatcher ST80 - the manufacturer is Synta.

Can't help with the others although there was a review on here of one of the Opticstars recently - but I see you have read that !.

My guess would be that, optically, there would not be much to pick between them and the differences would lie in the quality of build and finish.

John and Rik,

Many thanks for your comments - are there any other Opticstar / Sky Star / ST80 and similar short tube owners who would like to add their thoughts on how these scopes perform??

Many thanks

Robin

The Star Sky 90 is now discontinued (although one UK dealer has a couple left) but is actually rather good for an achro with very little CA. I had one and can highly recommend it. Miles better optically and mechanically than the ST80 etc. Used to be sold by Opticstar but they've now got their new version.

The Opticstar AR80S is slightly better optically than the ST80 but has much higher build quality and is ridiculously compact when the dew-shield is retracted. I call mine the "Palmscope". I use it as a superfinder on my dob or when I want a really compact scope for traveling. This will literally fit in many car glove boxes. I have replaced the standard rings with some WO guidescope rings so I can use it as a finder.

John

post-14522-133877691485_thumb.jpg

Suspect that the original manufacturer is one of the following:

telescope focuser,Refractor,Apochromatic Lens,achromatic Lens manufacturer- INTANE

???????? LONG PERNG CO., LTD

http://united-optics.com/

Astronomy Telescopes,Binoculars and Accessories Manufacturer,Exporter

Biological Microscope,Astronomical Telescope,Magnifier Lamp :Ningbo Barride Optics Co.,Ltd

One of the web sites seems to be in the process of being updated, not sure which.

One or two of the sites appear to sell direct, could be worth asking if it turned out a good deal.

We tend to post of Sky's the Limit selling eyepieces but they do scopes as well which I think are of the types you mention. Worth a look.

John, Ronin, Big Blue One,

Thanks for your helpful comments!!

John, The Opticstar 80 looks a really portable gem of a scope and I like the idea of the build quality.

Ronin, Some interesting web sites to explore! I presume that telescope manufactures buy in many of the components and assembe them for branding and selling on.

I will explore the "Sky's the Limit" website.

BigBlueOne, The ED is a tempting option - I presume you are referring to the Skywatcher 80 ED Pro?

Once again thanks for the ideas and feedback.

Robin

Archived