Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Skywatcher Observers Chair has returned!

FLO

The Skywatcher observer Chair was first introduced in Spring 2010. It was a sturdy, stable and comfortable chair at a sensible price. It was very popular. Then an owner (and member of SGL) expressed concern that the seat adjustment mechanism, if used incorrectly, might be dangerous. We could see his point so removed the chair from our website same-day and contacted everyone who bought one offering them free collection and a full refund. Interestingly nobody wanted to part with their chair, including the person who made the complaint. Nevertheless the chair was withdrawn from sale.

Today Skywatcher's importers have re-introduced the same chair with a "simple spring mechanism which prevents the seat from dropping when lifted".

This is good news as a number of customers were disappointed when they discovered they could not buy one.

For details please visit our website.

skywatcher_observing_chair.jpg

It was a sturdy, stable and comfortable chair at a sensible price. It was very popular. Then an owner (and member of SGL) expressed concern [...]

You are implying that I spoilt things for everyone. The chair contravened European safety standards and was illegal to sell in that form. Glad to hear that these problems have now been addressed, and that the chair is available to purchase in a safer design.

Apologies Jeremy if my comments were ambiguous, they weren't meant to be. I don't know whether anything was 'contravened' but I do think you were right to raise your concern, I said so in your original thread. Indeed we backed you 100%. I had thought you might be pleased with this announcement because it appears your thread here on SGL and Ken's (Merlin66) suggested solution might be at least partly responsible for this new improved chair :)

HTH,

Steve :)

it appears your thread here on SGL and Ken's (Merlin66) suggested solution might be at least partly responsible for this new improved chair :)

Steve, do you have any details of what the safety modification is?

I'd like to do it to my chair if possible; I never got around to working on my one, and it does clatter dangerously to the ground on a regular basis, scaring the ******* out of me in the process! :)

Archived