NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2005 YU55 can we see it ?

Sorry if this has already been asked but should we have a break in the cloud is there much chance of getting to see it ? I take it we will only be looking for a rock with out a trail as it's not bouncing of our atmosphere but I'd like to give it a go if it's possible ??? and where should I be looking ??

Yeah, decent telescope to see it. Also the further south you are the better.

I'd hazard a guess that for those who do manage to see it, it would be one of the smallest objects they'll ever see, after man-made satellites and meteors.

It will be possible to catch it tomorrow night, when it will be high in the sky and there may be clear skies in parts of the UK, although at 12th magnitude and close to the bright moon it's likely to only be the imagers who catch it. Here's an animation of its location from 1800 to 2400 tomorrow night (click on the image to make the animation work).

post-16549-133877689881_thumb.gif

Archived