SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Adapter or Adapters??

Scotty27

Hi,

sorry for this but I have been reading various pages and forums and still can't figure out if I need a T-Ring & a T-adapter to mount my DSLR to my Skywatcher.

Included when I bought the scope was something that resembles a t-adapter so I am unsure.....

The DSLR is a Sony Alpha 290L if that makes any difference at all....:)

Thanks Guys.

If the focuser or your other adaptor has a T thread at the end.....

then all you need is a T2 -Sony adaptor ring - usually available on ebay or your local camera shop.

Remove the camera lens, fit the T2 adaptor and then screw it to the thread on your focuser/ T thread adaptor.

HTH

Thanks for the info,

that is what I suspected.

I am intregued to see what results are produced with no zoom lense and no eye piece attached (I still can't get my head around that concept) :)

I have a lot to learn....!!! :)

...I am intregued to see what results are produced with no zoom lense and no eye piece attached (I still can't get my head around that concept)...I have a lot to learn....!!! :)

It's fairly straightfoward, really. The telescope itself becomes the camera lens. Your Skywatcher 200P becomes a 1000mm telephoto lens (admittedly a rather big one, and not one you'd want to try and carry around to take pictures of wildlife!). That's how most of the DSO images you see on this forum were taken.

Hate to warn you about additional expense, but you will probably also want a coma corrector to avoid star distortion caused by coma. You can do without it, but it will mean that stars towards the edge of the frame will be somewhat distorted.

I guessed there would be a fair bit of cost still to come, I assume I will need a motor for my mount too, although not sure whether I need a 1 or 2 axis motor?!

Sorry to say but yes, you will need to track for long exposures,

just starting yself and boy does my bank know about it :)

My bank balance is almost continuously "running on empty" since I took up this hobby! :)

Ha! No kidding :)

I acquired all the stuff below starting 17th of November last year and another load of stuff is on its way from Ian King. The hobby does keep the money out of the dark confines of the account!

/per

Archived