NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

camping and dark sky area's ?

hi all. anyone have any good pointers for camping in the snowdonia area or north wales in general ?

ive a basic tent and some sleeping gear, but would prefer to stay away from the run of the mill camping sites.

want to take my son away for a night or two with the bino's and scope,and hope for a cloudless night :).

would be nice if i could maybe have a small camp fire ect. i dont mind camp sites if theres a short walk to avoid other campers lights ect.

im aware there are rules about camping anywhere in the uk is resticted ect.

enough rambling on my part,any info or experiences welcomed.

places to go /avoid ect.

cheers, clear skies...

There are numerous camping sites in Snowdonia many of these are open all year runs because they cater for climbers although most are not too keen on campfires because they don't really want holes burning in their grass. The coastal areas of Anglesey and Gwynedd get clearer weather than the mountains and parts of Anglesey near Newborough and The Llyn Peninsual around Aberdaron are very dark with southerly views over Cardigan bay providing excellent places for astronomy. The Llyn Peninsula is probably your best bet because many small farm camp sites are open all year round catering for surfers and walkers, the only thing is they don't tend too advertise so you might have to go for a day trip to suss out somewhere you like.

There are numerous camping sites in Snowdonia many of these are open all year runs because they cater for climbers although most are not too keen on campfires because they don't really want holes burning in their grass. The coastal areas of Anglesey and Gwynedd get clearer weather than the mountains and parts of Anglesey near Newborough and The Llyn Peninsual around Aberdaron are very dark with southerly views over Cardigan bay providing excellent places for astronomy. The Llyn Peninsula is probably your best bet because many small farm camp sites are open all year round catering for surfers and walkers, the only thing is they don't tend too advertise so you might have to go for a day trip to suss out somewhere you like.

*sigh*

Nearly moved up there this year...:)

thanks guys. i shall investigate some more. scotland is just a bit to far for a two night stop im afraid. i would consider scotland ( misses is scottish , and ive never been !) later ,once my camping equipment is adequate.

thanks all..

Archived