Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What do I need?

Zaphod360

Hi all,

I'm feeling the pull of astrophotography after a few a-focal attempts. I'm thinking of getting a Canon EOS 1000D, which should meet my needs. I'll be getting it second had, through flea-bay probably, so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have a laptop and don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon so the camera will have to be manually controlled. I want to be able to do exposures of over 60 secs really (limited by my polar alignment), is this possible on the 1000D.

Also, this is how much of a newb to this I am, does the camera attach straight onto the OTA focuser or do you use a lense? If you need a lense which one is recommended? Do I need filters etc?

The scope is an SW 200P on an EQ5 motor driven.

Thanks for reading

You will need a T-ring adapter for starters

First Light Optics - T Rings

A 2" nose piece to fit it to the focuser

First Light Optics - FLO 2-inch T mount camera adapter

You may need a coma correcter for your scope, I am not sure as I have never used newt to image.

For the camera, until you get a laptop you will need a remote to set off the camera to prevent it from shaking releasing the shutter. These can be got for most camera shops or ebay.

hope this helps.

You just use the DSLR camera body mounted to the focuser...as said, you need a minimum of a T2-EOS adaptor and a remote (TC-80 or equivalent)

That's it for starters....

You can use the Canon utilities software to down load your images, but you'll need to give some thought to an image processing package.....something like AstroArt....

The bumf that comes with the 200P says direct camera mounting, any ideas if I would still need a t-ring?

Yes you will. Direct should read "Direct with t-ring" :)

You will most likely be unable to achieve focus with any other means of connecting the camera to the default focuser (using a nosepiece normally results in not enough inwards focus.)

Get the t-ring, get the remote, have a go ;)

You'll need some way of finding focus. Just looking at a magnified star image won't get you all the way there but you could make a Bahtinov Mast (Google) or simpler Y mask for the front of the Newt for next to nothing. Focus on a bright star at a similar elevation to your target.

Olly

You need an MPCC, Multi Purpose Coma Corrector, or you will have round stars only in the center. I use one on my Explorer 250P. The Baader one is really good.

1000D is very good for astro work. The image below is from a 1000D, but not through the Explorer (M31 doesn't fit in the FOV). I'd say it does the job fairly well :)

So, your setup will be:

Explorer <- MPCC <- T-adapter <- Canon

The is no substitute in my opinion.

Good luck - you'll have a ball!

/per

_M31_2011-09-24.jpg

Hmm, I've just had a thought, how do you zoom/magnify the image if the camera is directly attached to the focuser?

You don't :)

You need an MPCC, Multi Purpose Coma Corrector, or you will have round stars only in the center. I use one on my Explorer 250P. The Baader one is really good.

1000D is very good for astro work. The image below is from a 1000D, but not through the Explorer (M31 doesn't fit in the FOV). I'd say it does the job fairly well :headbang:

So, your setup will be:

Explorer <- MPCC <- T-adapter <- Canon

The is no substitute in my opinion.

Good luck - you'll have a ball!

/per

I agree, I have an MPCC also but the OP just needs to be careful when considering this. With the MPCC the OP will need to use the 2" adaptor on the stock 200P focuser.

If there is enough inwards movement to focus in this configuration, well I'd be surprised ;)

Low profile focuser or moving primary mirror "may" be required if using an MPCC.

Hmm, I've just had a thought, how do you zoom/magnify the image if the camera is directly attached to the focuser?

You buy a different telescope :-)

One of the first 'doh!' moments for me when getting in to this was that DSO's vary massively in size and you actually need at least three or four different scopes to be able to gate a half decent image if most if them.

The 200p plus a DSLR should be good for a lit if smaller ones... larger galaxies, globular clusters, planetary nebulae etc... in a while you'll probably find you want a small refractor too for imaging the bug stuff.

Oh, and get your 1000D astro modified as soon as you can. makes a hell of a difference.

Ben

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Wow! Amazing image, so I think the 1000D will be just fine.

I was reading about the MPCC from Skywatcher, I think it be suitable for my OTA without any modification.

How have you calculated that? (By which I mean how did you determine you will have enough in focus?)

I read this thread

http://stargazerslounge.com/sponsor-announcements-offers/94487-skywatcher-coma-corrector.html

From FLO, I assumed from this quote:

Compatible with all f5 Explorer, Skyliner and Flextube telescopes fitted with 2" focusers.

The price is keen, particularly when you consider that the price includes the necessary adapters for both visual use and imaging. You will however need an M48 adapter to suit your camera.

That I'd just need to T-Ring and this? Any ideas?

I read this thread

http://stargazerslounge.com/sponsor-announcements-offers/94487-skywatcher-coma-corrector.html

From FLO, I assumed from this quote:

That I'd just need to T-Ring and this? Any ideas?

It only says that it will fit - not that it will focus :) Hopefully someone using this combination can confirm whether any modifications needs to be made.

For what it's worth, have a read through all the threads of DSLR users who can't get their camera to focus on a stock 200P or any stock SW Newtonian for that matter.

In principal though, yes all you need is the CC and a t-ring.

Just starting out to, and have also just bought a s/hand canon 1000d.

Not used it yet but all you need is a "T" ring (i have a SW200p) to connect to the scope.

I also bought a remote shutter control from ebay (£20 new).

Like i said not used the scope and camera together yet so can't help with that yet, still getting my head around the camera settings.

Oops!

I just checked my invoices and realized that I have the Skywatcher MPCC. It is screwed right on the camera's T-adapter and then inserted into the stock Explorer 250P focuser (2"). It focuses wthout problem.

So, that combination can do the job!

/per

Hi!

i saw in your signature you use 250 mm skywatcher upon a NEQ6 Pro mount. Since I look for buying some equipment of this sort I would really want to know how does it behave - some say 250 mm is too heavy for this mount for astrophotography. Would you share any impresiions?

Thanks

250 on the NEQ6 is no problem. There is just one thin, and that is the sheer size of the scope. It catches the wind. A large scope will have some flexure and the design of the 250 is a little weak. Apart from wind I have had no problems what so ever. Perfect match :)

You will like it!

/p

Here's a variety of focal and a-focal connections :)

e98f1372dfc2c8d83b7c0dc292de85a7_7545.jpg?dl=1288725319 9796b8ad56164c2c59e5fa1287907f1d_7546.jpg?dl=1288725319

b99c32a01b8ff28417493074e9b25c04_7547.jpg?dl=1288725319 f27f782e9bcbfabd81cf55d1cc95bbfb_7551.jpg?dl=1288725440

96be711bb36e491a29ea834d398cde0e_7550.jpg?dl=1288725440 b637ac36997d2caeed75d67d839537cd_7549.jpg?dl=1288725319

Top left is a field flatenner, top right Hyperion Zoom, mid left T-Ring and step down ring for Zoom, mid right Universal connector for any 1.25" eyepiece, bottom left Universal connector break down, bottom right Hyperion 8mm with T-ring and step down ring. There are options for magnifying - the camera is a 1000D :)

Archived