Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cheap Way To Collimate Reflecting Telescope

johncbradley1

I've used lazer collimators, but have since reverted to the simpler and cheaper cheshire collimators. Worth buying, as with a Newtonian it's worth checking collimation every now and then. Yes, collimation is necessary but once you get the hang of it it's pretty quick and simple. What scope have you got, or intend to get?

I have the Celestron 130. Another question you might be able to help me with... I have only the two low quality eyepieces that came with the scope, and I'm looking to get higher magnification, I'm looking to buy either one of these; Revelation Astro 2.5x Barlow Lens 1.25" or Ostara 5mm 1.25" Plossl HR Telescope eyepiece | eBay could you advise me on which one would suit me better?

I've used lazer collimators, but have since reverted to the simpler and cheaper cheshire collimators. Worth buying, as with a Newtonian it's worth checking collimation every now and then. Yes, collimation is necessary but once you get the hang of it it's pretty quick and simple. What scope have you got, or intend to get?

I have the Celestron 130. Another question you might be able to help me with... I have only the two low quality eyepieces that came with the scope, and I'm looking to get higher magnification, I'm looking to buy either one of these; Revelation Astro 2.5x Barlow Lens 1.25" or Ostara 5mm 1.25" Plossl HR Telescope eyepiece | eBay could you advise me on which one would suit me better?

Cheshires are better since the lasers need collimation themselves, before you can use them to collimate the scope. Collimation is a daunting task, but is surprisingly easy with astrobabys guide, or this guide.

Once the secondary is aligned it will stay that way until you either move it yourself or give the scope a blumming good knock. Most collimations will simply mean adjusting the primary slightly, which is surprisingly easy. Give it a go, you can't break anything, worst that'l happen is you'l need to take it somewhere to be re-aligned if you really mess it up, which you'd have had to do anyway so you got nothing to lose.

As for the eyepieces, i'd go with a barlow, since it effectively doubles your eyepiece collection. That may not seem like a big thing now, but in the long run it'l save you a lot of money, since any eyepiece you buy in the future will effectively be 2 for the price of 1. Say for instance you have a 25mm and a 10mm, by buying a barlow you then have the equivalent of a 25mm, a 12.5mm, a 10mm, and a 5mm.

Buying a further 32mm eyepiece will give you a 32mm, 25mm, 16mm, 12.5mm, 10mm, and 5mm. Quite an impressive range increase considering you only bought a barlow and 1 eyepiece.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to upgrade your eyepieces, the ones bundled with scopes aren't great, but perfectly adequate for the untrained eye. Better eyepieces will only be better to a certain limit, and then you're at the mercy of the atmospheric conditions. Try before you buy is the way to go with eyepieces, they're a very personal choice so try and get to your local astro group and try some other members eyepieces to get a feel for what you like.

I use a laser collimator using the barlowed laser method, that it doesn't require the laser to be optimally collimated itself. Google "barlowed laser" for many sites with info. There are also some threads in SGL discussing this.

Another vote for adding a hole in an old 35mm film canister I had lying about in a drawer from the days before digital cameras!

Double checked with a star-test - so seems to work!

Therefore I can't seem to justify the expense of one of these more expensive gadgets!

dag123

I use a laser collimator using the barlowed laser method, that it doesn't require the laser to be optimally collimated itself. Google "barlowed laser" for many sites with info. There are also some threads in SGL discussing this.

I'll second this - the barlowed laser method worked well for me. Don't underestimate the importance of good collimation, it makes a huge difference.

Another vote for adding a hole in an old 35mm film canister I had lying about in a drawer from the days before digital cameras!

Double checked with a star-test - so seems to work!

Therefore I can't seem to justify the expense of one of these more expensive gadgets!

dag123

How do you do full collimation with just a canister? Surely you can only do part?

A cheshire collimator is one of the cheapest things you will every buy for the scope and it's worth every penny. Collimation is important :icon_salut:

Hi,

Here is the thead discussing the collimination of my Celestron 130EQ.

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/149395-i-think-i-need-collimate-my-astromaster-130eq.html

All I can say it was an amazing difference afterwards, for the better!

I am sure cheshires (supermarket-standard-brand) and lasers (supermarket-finest-brand) also get the job done, but arn't we discussing the "supermarket-value-brand" end of the spectrum?

Perhaps with Christmas on the way I'll spoil myself and go better than value-brand!

dag123

Hi,

Here is the thead discussing the collimination of my Celestron 130EQ.

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/149395-i-think-i-need-collimate-my-astromaster-130eq.html

All I can say it was an amazing difference afterwards, for the better!

I am sure cheshires (supermarket-standard-brand) and lasers (supermarket-finest-brand) also get the job done, but arn't we discussing the "supermarket-value-brand" end of the spectrum?

Perhaps with Christmas on the way I'll spoil myself and go better than value-brand!

dag123

You don't consider a £25 investment to be the supermarket end of things?

Hi

Well if you want to invest as little as possible the hole in the canister will let you see if it looks about right. You would need this to setup the secondary to primary alignment because you can see more of the primary i.e. the 3 clips.

My C130 does not have a "doughnut" on the primary and I think this is the norm. Unless you have one you can't do a precise alignment but the C130 has a spherical mirror which is not as critical as a parabolic mirror.

I removed my primary and fitted a "doughnut" but it's not for the faint hearted I had to driil out 2 of the 3 retaining screws. Nasty soft things but at least they are easy to drill

Archived