Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Real DOS's - M31 & M33

Budgie

Now, go easy, these are my first real goes at DSO imaging and they are unguided (I had a practice on M31 last night :D).

The kit:

Mount: EQ5 Pro Goto

Scope: Celestron 102mm Wide Field Refractor

Camera: Canon EOS 400D (un-modded)

M31 - 10 x 90 second subs + 4 darks (no flats) 1600 ASA

M33 - 9 x 3 minute subs + 5 darks (no flats) 1600 ASA

Stacked in DSS and finished with Photoshop CS3 but aired on the side of trying not to over process.

Comments, tips and advise welcomed.

Martin.

post-19965-133877684847_thumb.jpg

post-19965-133877684853_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I think with more subs of the same sort of length then it should bring out more detail but stop the centre getting too light.

With M33 I think less exposure time, maybe two minutes, and again more subs would make that one better. I was still surprised how well it came out though as I couldn't actually see it in the camera view finder. I just had to point and hope. :D

Overall for a scope that only cost £80 I'm pleased with the first go.

I've still got most of Steve Richards book to read and that, along with practice, can only improve things. :)

Excellent results, for a beginner you have done very well but to increase quality significantly you should think of getting your DSLR modded and then all those nebula target will be open to you but Orion's M42 will image unmodded for sure.

John.

Thanks all,

Johnh - I'm looking for a body to get modded, I use the EOS 400D for other photography so don't want to mod that one. :icon_salut:

Michael,

Yes, two consecutive nights to have a play with imaging and the new 102mm.

I think I'll do some more unguided before I start getting into the guiding side of things. Just aligning the mount and sticking the DSLR on back of the scope means I can be imaging quite quickly so it's been good this week.

It's all good for learning about what the scope can realistically achieve and how far I can push it.

I managed to get 4 minutes tracking from the mount but the scope isn't upto that and I ended up with blobs instread of stars so I may try the 127mm Mak and see what I can get with that. :D

Archived