Decisions decisions

I need some help i know ive posted loads of threads about i wanna get a 8" dob etc but im thinking of changing my mind and going for something else. Ive been checking out ppls astro photos and thinking wow i would like to get into that and have some pics on the wall of what ive taken. i think it would be great to look at them and think wow i took them. The question ive got if i do decide to get into it does the scope have to be as good aperture as a dob or does it work differently to aperture.

i think the most important thing as far as the ota is concerned is the F ratio - you want a fast scope, F5 or faste. more aperture is always a good thing, but for imaging you could get away with less than 8 inches, the only problem you might encounter is the amount of 'in focus' when you attach a dslr.

2nd most important thing is the mount. heq5 at least for a 6 inch imaging scope.

then youve got guiding..

dip your toe once and you will forever be battling against throwing your whole body in :D

Astrophotography is all about the mount - an HEQ5 or, preferably, an NEQ6 is the minimum requirement. Scopewise then a fast (f/4 or f/5) scope is usually preferred. The most important advice is that astrophotography is a DEEP MONEY PIT!!

You will find "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards (from FLO or direct from Steve) will be a goldmine of information laid out in an easy to understand way - money very well spent!

Additionally you can dip your toe into astrophotography quite cheaply by using a webcam and your proposed Dob. (Morgan Computers sell a "bundle" of the SPC900 webcam with all the bits you need). You will need a lappy to run the webcam (money again, unless you have one) but you can take short video's of the Moon and planets (especially Jupiter ans Saturn) which can be "stacked" using Registax (freeware) and finished off with GIMP (again freeware) or Photoshop (money again!). Cut your teeth on this whilst saving your pennies (and pounds) for some more expensive imaging gear. It may be worth having a look at the second hand market (buy and sell sections of reputable forums - not fleabay!), most folk keep their kit well looked after and many a bargain is to be had as folk upgrade.

Hope this helps.

PS you could put the 8" Dob tube onto a better equatorial mount in the future - just rings and a dovetail needed. (Assuming you get a Dob with a tube - the open tube or truss sort are not so easy to mount this way).

Imaging is expensive. Just for guiding equipment, you're talking £200 or so, then you need a substantial mount, and depending how serious you wanna go you can go either CCD or a modded DSLR... Plus an OTA... and powertank... and laptop if you don't already have one... and you need to be a vampire, since you'l be spending your nights gathering hours of exposures and sleeping during the day.

All in all you'l be in for well over £1k for "semi-serious" imaging. You can do it for much less, planets require only a decent webcam, and you could get away with shorter DSLR exposures on an unguided setup.

You can also spend a lot more. A LOT MORE. lol

Generally, you want a fast scope, but you don't necessarily need a big aperture. Many people Image with an ED80, not a big scope by normal standards but it has exceptional optics.

edit: Gah, beaten to it

you don't need a lot of money to get great results of some targets http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/160810-un-guided-eq3-2-m31-project-final-stack.html

BUT you will need a lot of dedication either way.

I am not an imager and have no intention of ever imaging. I see things through my dob which make my jaw drop (literally).

what seems to be a recurring theme is that two things are important with imaging. 1) the mount and 2) the mount. after that you can basically use a scope that the mount will handle. for different targets you may need a different sort of scope or a different sized chip.

if you want to get seriously into imaging though and chase more faint or obscure targets then you will almost certainly need a large pot of cash.

Remember there is a big difference between photographing the moon and planets versus deep sky objects. A webcam and dob could get you decent planetary shots, but you do need an equatorial mount for DSOs. Plan to sink almost as much money into the mount as the scope

Eric

You will find "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards (from FLO or direct from Steve) will be a goldmine of information laid out in an easy to understand way - money very well spent!

This book is well worth getting, could save you lots of money and frustration.

Regards, Ed.

Remember there is a big difference between photographing the moon and planets versus deep sky objects. A webcam and dob could get you decent planetary shots, but you do need an equatorial mount for DSOs. Plan to sink almost as much money into the mount as the scope

Eric

Totally agree. and the price gap gets larger and larger.. here's how I like to see it...

On a tight budget, quick and easy imaging

Moon shots / Widefield imaging without tracking (star trails etc)

Imaging with a scope on a budget

-A focal High magnification Moon shots (point and shoot camera)

-Webcam planetary imaging

Middle of the road Astro Imaging

-Deep sky DSLR imaging (larger objects)

-PEC correction and drift alignment implemented.

More advanced astro imaging

-Deep sky imaging with dedicated guide scope and camera for tracking

-DSLR or DSI Cameras for imaging

-Filter wheels and LRGB Ha filters used

Super Turbo Milionnaire, 'Money is no object' astro imaging

-Observatory

-Top notch CCD camera for Deep sky

-Automated filter wheels

-Automated All night imaging sessions

-Degree in Photoshop! lol

Matt

Hi Brascoe,

I was in exactly the same position. After 30 odd years of stargazing, I finally bought my first telescope. I spent a couple of weeks looking around and watching vids etc. All of which gave great advice and in the end I went for the Sky-Watcher Explorer 200P EQ5. Why? Well from what I've learnt in astronomy size is everything. You will have to balance the whole tech stuff against the telescope size. At first i was going for a 5.1" scope then I thought of an 8" dobson but I went for the 8" Skywatcher because it's a big scope, its had lots of good reviews and it can be upgraded. With the EQ5 mount I can add motors and maybe a 'go to' set up but that's in the future. You can also use it for astrophotography. I've seen a couple of pictures on this site using a Skywatcher 200p, so I went for that and I'm pretty pleased. If I progress I and add stuff but also I can stay with what I've got if I want.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Rob

Archived