Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommended SP targets for small scopes

Dunkster

Hey folks,

I'm hoping to make it to SSP later in the week - weather permitting - and would like some opinions on what are must-see objects, given clear skies, and within the capabilities of my little mak!

My viewing is mostly eastbound at home, so would like to take any opportunity to catch some sights I might otherwise miss (northerly and westerly?)

Thanks for any and all suggestions :)

hi Dunkster

I put a list on this thread, recently seen at the Peak Star Party with my 16" dob.

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-reports/161062-attempt-list-objects-seen-peak-star-party-2011-a.html

ok there may be some of them out of reach of your mak or unless you have the right filter but the majority won't be.

good luck matey!

Might I suggest M11? As far as open clusters in the Messier catalog go, the Wild Duck is definitely my favorite. Bright and dense cluster easily found just a bit off the tail of Aquila and observable in small scopes, it's an absolutely beautiful target.

m44 preasepe is nice in my 90mm refractor, very easy to spot. i found the ring and dumbell nebula's to, and thats from my orange zone skies. so they would be a good view with your scope.

also m15 is beutifull mate.

hope you have a good un...

I think that the pleiades is a nice sight in any telescope. And a nice project is to identify the stars by their names, even to sketch it. Is a nice and easy project to increase your skills in looking at a star field with a purpose, that can be useful later when star hoping.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the best is M42 in Orion just below the belt stars. All ways get a smile from me when I look at it. Another good one is M13 in Hercules, as is M92 and another in Hercules NGC6229. These are all Globular Clusters, as for Open Clusters: M36, M37 and M38:) Really the sky is you limit once you get looking. Do not forget about the solar system either, Jupiter stands up well, Saturn once it gets away from the sun looks good as well. Finally the moon but use a moon filter if you have one as it can get very bright for your eyes! looking along the terminator (day/night line on the moon surface) you can see good details of the craters.

Happy viewing what ever you look at, assuming you have a clear sky? Been clouded out for three days now:mad:

Peter

Archived