Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first week with my first scope

mcro89

Hey all,

So i have spent my first week with my Skywatcher Explorer 150p EQ3-2 with dual motors. Its been amazing!

I got the scope 2nd hand from SGL member Simms last saturday and luckily i have had clear nights for most of the week. I have been reading a lot about scopes for ages so i had a fair idea of how to work it all and my first few targets were Jupiter, Andromeda, Orion Nebula, Moon and the Double Cluster above Perseus.

The view of Jupiter blew me away! it was amazing. The Double Cluster was good to explore as well as getting a nice close view of the moon at its craters.

The scope itself is great i can tell already that it was the perfect choice for a first scope and that it will last be a good while before i even think of upgrading. Another thing which will keep me busy is astrophotography.

I have been interested in photography for a good few years and got myself a nice new DSLR a last year so it was only natural to be curios of how to attach it to my scope. Now i know a lot of people warn people that astrophotography is a big hobby with a steep learning curve but I am not in any rush to get hubble like images and i think you can still get some good photos with my setup. I love playing with photography and i had some great fun with this scope and my camera.

Here are my first astro images from this first week with my scope:

The Moon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48623423@N08/6269115613/in/photostream/

Andromeda:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48623423@N08/6269641716/in/photostream/

Orion Nebula:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48623423@N08/6269641110/in/photostream/

So as i said its a start to my astro photography :)

To add to my week i also located a very good dark site around 30min drive away so hopefully in the weeks to come i will be able to get my scope there for even better viewing and imaging.

Thanks for reading.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Nice report and a good spread of objects you observed in your first week.

As you can see from my sig. I have the same setup as you and have had some great nights with it.

You really shouldn't be getting a week of good weather as soon as you get your scope :)

Hope you have many more great nights.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice work!! Be sure to use `Mirror lock up` on your DSLR when imaging the moon.. Glad to see you are getting on with it..

hi Simms how much difference does mirror lock up make on the moon and in general mt dob 300p is not great but i get decent shots of the moon, but how much difference does mirror lock up make? ?

Archived