Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Agood 3.5 eye piece

vince 66

I am looking for some help in choosing a 3.5 mm EP Or are the Televue 2-4 mm zoom eye pieces any good ?. I normaly stay clear of Barlows and zoom EP's . This ep will be for planets only so any suggestions would be appreciated I am leaning towards a TV zoom. I can't go for anything to big like a XW as I won't have room in my case and I want to keep my EP's to one case :).

Both TV Nagler zooms are excellent optically, and the ability to set the zoom to match conditions is a definite bonus. They're also very compact, and for owners of 'scopes in (roughly) the 500-1000mm focal length range they can provide an entire set of highest-power EPs in one unit.

Downsides are that the AFOV and eye relief are a touch limited - I found eye relief in particular a little problematic, although it's better with the eye guard folded down. At some focal lengths you may also find the highest-power settings wasted under general conditions, although it's awfully nice to have for those rare nights.

Well it was the 3-6 Nagler zoom that won it in the end I'm not to botherd about eye relief as I do most of my observing with Ortho EP's. I just hope it is as good as every one says then I will be able to pull back some of the cost by selling my 5 and 6 mm BGO's there's not alot of eyepiece for the price so one can only asume that it is going to be very good oh and yes it did cloud over just after sun set.

That's a good choice Vince. I've owned a couple of 3-6mm Nagler zooms and they really do perform excellently. The zoom facility is really useful when finding out what the seeing conditions will allow.

And then there is the Ethos SX 3.7, not quite 3.5mm but reportedly outstanding. Haven't looked through one yet.

Only costs an arm and a leg :D.

The ultimate lunar / high power planetary eyepiece. Not cheap but I never regretted buying mine. However it's not exactly the smallest eyepiece, but surprisingly not very heavy. :)

John

post-14522-133877684225_thumb.jpg

That's a good choice Vince. I've owned a couple of 3-6mm Nagler zooms and they really do perform excellently. The zoom facility is really useful when finding out what the seeing conditions will allow.

Yes thats one of the reasons I got this eyepiece in the first place :)

I am an avid fan of the 3-6mm EP, its my most used eyepiece in my case and is used with both my refractors :D

The ultimate lunar / high power planetary eyepiece. Not cheap but I never regretted buying mine. However it's not exactly the smallest eyepiece, but surprisingly not very heavy. :D

John

Lovely John :)

I have to "fake" mine by using the Antares 1.6x barlow lens with my 6mm Ethos :o

I am a huge fan of the 3-6mm Nagler zoom. In fact it has seen off all of the fixed focal length EPs that I have owned in that range. It isn't as 'good' in my opinion as some of the better orthos that I have owned, however the difference was so minimal on most nights that the advantage of the zoom always won out. Can't see me ever parting with it.

I used to really like my Nagler 3 - 6 zoom, and I only sold it as the Ethos was that much sharper with more contrast that I hardly used the zoom any more. I could see detail with the Ethos that I simply couldn't make out with the zoom.

Having said that though I wouldn't mind getting another 3 - 6 zoom sometime for use in a travel scope as it's so small and light, and even though it was outclassed by the Ethos it's still an excellent eyepiece.

John

I did get out for a few hours last night but the seeing was not good I could'nt even split the double double. I did try the zoom for a while and early indications are it's going to be a top eye piece I can't realy say alot more until I have given it a go under better conditions.

Archived