Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WO Megrez 72 -SOOOOOO FRUSTRATING!

Before I begin my rant I just want to point out that I love this little scope - I really, really do.

I use it far more than my Equinox 120ed but now I have changed my guiding (from dual bar to OAG) the Megrez 72 is really starting to cause me some problems.

In order to better balance the Megrez I can no longer get away with the "L-Type Bracket" that sits underneath the scope, but will need some way to mount the scope, preferably mounting/tube rings?

The things is I just cannot find tube rings for it anywhere! I believe the diameter of the 72 is 87mm so can I get away with 90mm tube rings?

Anyone who has had a similar problem with megrez 72 I would really love to know how this problem was resolved.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Steve

Thanks for that Steve. Yeah, I did come across them earlier, it's just a shame that they are not a bit longer. My concern is hanging a CCD/filter wheel etc of the back and trying to make that all balance in DEC.

It's an option though......

I have a similar problem with the "non-standard" size of the Genesis tube.

I ended up getting the next size up and fitting cork spacers ( three per ring) to "clamp" the tube.

Been using it that way for the last five years... no problems....

Thanks for that info Merlin. During my 'googling' this morning I did come across a few WO 72 owners who were considering this in order to overcome the '72 problem'.

I think the 72 has a diameter of 87mm so 90mm tube rings might do the job?

I wonder of the L bracket will get in the way and if it's removable?

My concern with the "cork solution" is of course movement as the whole point of going OAG is to try and eliminate flexure. Dont want to re-introduce it if possible but you sound confident if you have used it that way for a few years now.

MMM......

The wide cork spacers I used seriously work very well....

BTW when you have an OAG set-up guiding it would correct for any movement as there's only one optical axis involved!

( I now use a pellicle beamsplitter rather than the pick-off prism - I can see ALL the FOV and only lose 4% of the light to the guider....)

I'm pretty new to all this so not heard of the 'pellicle beamsplitter' before..whill google shortly! Sounds expensive.

Being new I thought the mount would have to balanced in RA AND DEC but you say that this is corrected? I'm just concerned about hanging an oag/fw/camera off the back of the little 72 so want to try and balance it out as best I can.

As an aside, (another stupid question coming up), where do you buy the wide cork spacers?

Edmund Optics do the 1" Pellicle beamsplitters.....

Yes, the scope has still to be balanced, but remember with the OAG there's no "relative" movements.

The cork gasket material originally came from a trade shop, but I'm sure you'll find similar in B&Q - it's used behind pictures and on the bottom of vases etc.

Thanks Earl.....are you referring to ADM guide rings? If so, I have those already but dont want to use them as I just dont think that they are sturdy enough and dont trust them to hold the Megrez.

Thanks though ......

Should be fine. my scope is larger and solid as a rock.

All I would do is bolt the shoe of the 72 to a length of Vixen/Synta rail and bolt a Vixen rail clamp as sold by Baader to the side by side plate or whatever. These are the things with the black and red knobs on this page;

Schwalbenschwanzsystem Vixen, Celestron Typ V bei Baader Planetarium, Zubehoer - Sektion 03

They are incredibly uiseful if you have them all over your sytem. I can put the solarscope on where the guidescope goes in a second, or swap guidescopes or camera lens setups just as easily, etc etc.

Olly

I use 90 mm rings. I have them packed out with one layer of sticky back cork and one layer of black Fablon. This works fine for me, but I not guiding. For guiding something less compressible might be better. May be 1.5 mm PVC sheeting or similar cut into strips and stuck in place with carpet tape?

Archived