Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQMOD - What do I need?

Dann

Apologies for asking a question that I’m sure has been answered 100 times before but I can’t seem to find what I’m after and I’m a little confused.

Up until now I have been operating my mount with the Synscan handset only but I fancy playing with EQMOD as everyone seems to love it.

What do I need exactly to connect my mount (EQ5 Pro Goto) to the laptop and how? Is it something I can pick up from the local Maplin or does anyone have a link to an online retailer?

Thanks

Danny

You'll need a cable like this one.

Shoestring USB to EQ5 Interface Cable

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Accessories-Imagers-Shoestring.asp?p=0_10_5_0_5_66

There are other ones but this one is good and has the electronics for interfacing EQMOD hidden inside the USB plug instead of in a separate box.

John

If you want to try first I think you can connect your PC to the socket at the bottom of your synscan handset with the supplied cable for updating the handset. You plug it into the handset, then into either a serial port or USB-Serial adapter. If you then put the handset into PC-Direct mode you can communicate direct to the mount with the PC via EQMOD. You will need to download ASCOM and EQASCOM (EQMOD) software. Since the handset firmware is not public domain, EQMOD do not recommend you run the scope unattended in this way, however, I've run it for hours like this without problems.

I agree with BlueAstra...KISS

Just use the upgrade cable that comes with the mount to connect via the handcontroller...if you find you really LOVE EQMOD then you can dump the handcontroller and buy/ build an EQDir module cable.

Try before you buy.....

If you want to try first I think you can connect your PC to the socket at the bottom of your synscan handset with the supplied cable for updating the handset. You plug it into the handset, then into either a serial port or USB-Serial adapter. If you then put the handset into PC-Direct mode you can communicate direct to the mount with the PC via EQMOD. You will need to download ASCOM and EQASCOM (EQMOD) software. Since the handset firmware is not public domain, EQMOD do not recommend you run the scope unattended in this way, however, I've run it for hours like this without problems.

Agreed, easiest / cheapest way to do it.......

Gaz

Archived