NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M17 Omega nebula

RAC

Hi, first post here. I'm from New Zealand and I've been playing around for about a year doing this now and its bitten real good. I try and keep the money side of it as low as possible so but i have alot of fun doing it.

Anyway.

7x3min subs @ ISO1600 + only 3 darks.

Modded 1000D @ -1°C peltier cooled.

Skywatcher 1000mm 8in f5 reflector.

Badder MPCC.

Mount: Homemade RA section using EQ5 gears, standard EQ5 dec section.

Stacked in DSS and finished off in Lightroom 3.3

All sizes | M17 Omega nebula | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

6243325362_4c276827eb_b.jpg

Stunning image - thanks for sharing. Do you think Peltier cooling your Canon helps a lot?

Thanks. yeah i do, the noise is alot better controlled. In Lightroom i normaly need to take colour out in the noise reduction options but you don't need to when cooled and you need very little if any noise reduction to start with. I was very happy with the noise in this shot with only 7 subs.

I want to make a water cooling setup for the peltier so i can get it colder. With air its only pulling it down about 15°C below ambient.

Just had a look at your mount - impressive bit of kit!

And the results speak for themselves really...

Did you ever post pic's of your workshop?

Welcome to SGL by the way :D

Ant

You would be shocked how messy it is, i need to clean it up. I'll sort out a pick.

Hi, absolutely lovely image. Any chance of a full image of your set up showing the telescope on your home made mount.

I've yet to make new DEC section but with very good polar alignment DEC doesn't do alot anyway. I'll be making a new stand before the DEC part. Last night taking that shot of M17 i never once had PHD make an adjustment to DEC, i thought it was turned off to start with.

Here's some shots of it.

Flickr: meg rac's Photostream

Archived