NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which is better for astrophotography

For a first attempt that is excellent, at least you can see some banding. Having got into this and tried it myself I know how difficult it all is... puts my attempt to shame... webcam is definately the way forward

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was wondering has anyone tried this refractor? Been having a good look at this for the future if I pursue the astrophotography route (considering several setups for different purposes around the £2k mark)

Ascension 102ED Triplet APO

post-28107-133877683445_thumb.jpg

Just to help out the spec of the scope pictured appears to be -

Ascension 102ED Triplet APO. 102mm f/7 premium apochromatic refractor with dovetail and brackets. Fully multi-coated objective lens with dual-speed focuser. Secondary mounting platform for guide scope / camera. High quality 8x50 wireless finder with adjustable illuminated reticule, 2" dielectric diagonal, 1.25" eyepiece adapter and 2 eyepieces. Includes sturdy aluminium case.

On the subject of Astrophotography... I am considering getting a skywatcher 102mm refractor guidescope with a skywatcher synguider autoguider to sit on top of my 200p and plug into my EQ6 - Would this be a good idea or could I use a cheaper scope with the same autoguider system ....

An ST80 will do the job nicely and help keep the weight down and save a bit of cash. I don't know the Synguider at all - I use an SPC900 with Phd and it seems to work fine. But the 102 will also make a nice guidescope being much more than needed - maybe you can also use it for a grab and go scope :icon_salut:

Thanks Kim, I have already ordered the phillips SPC880 / 900 webcam for my mainscope for the astroimaging i didnt realise you could use the same sort of package for the guidescope.

My only consideration for the synguider was that you dont have to link it to your pc. Although i suppose im going to have to link the webcam up to it anyway !

My understanding is that for imaging the Moon and planets a slow scope with a long f/l is best. For imaging DSO then a fast scope with a short f/l is best.

I dont do much (if any imaging), but i own both type of scope and from an observational point of view in my experience the same rule applies. The Moon and planets look best in my 90mm,f11,f/l 1000mm refrac scope while DSO look better in my 130mm,f5,f/l 650 reflec scope.

*EDIT* The Moon looks great in both scopes.

o.k - Here is a good homework question...I was considering the skywatcher 102 mm designated guidescope with the dual speed linear power focuser... however it is £279 for the tube assembly alone - then there the scope rail, rings not forgetting the autoguiding system on top (whichever one I eventually choose)....

What i really wanted to do is get a skywatcher strartravel 102 as that is only £189.00 - cheap by comparison.... however the question is would the strartravel 102 be as good and do as good a job as the designated guidescope - The other question is how on earth do you fix the startravel onto the 200p ?

Regards Tarn

You just want a guidescope? The mucky cheap ST80 is perfect. It is small, light and fast at F5 so always finds guidestars. Lock it all up tight, use the Barlow body as an extension to get focus (throw the lens away) and you have the ideal guidescope. It would be crazy to spend more, it would make no difference. In fact it would add unecessary weight and be worse.

Attach it by means of a strip of alloy running from front to rear tube ring on your main scope. Or use a Vixen rail in that position and bolt the guidescope to that. Forget guide rings, decent modern guide cameras are so sensitive that they always find a star.

Olly

Thanks olly... I hadnt considered the weight...But it makes total sense - I have always been a keen photographer and now want to get into astrophotography - i just want to begin with a fairly good set up - Regards Tarn

Archived