SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Meteor radio detection

Hi all

after the disappointment that was a totally cloud covered Draconids ive been reading about radio detection of meteors using a basic digital radio and aerial set up... basic premis being you set the fm radio to a frequency that produces static where u are but is an actual radio station frequency which is located over 200 miles away.

The ionised meteor trail causes the radio to pick up and 'carry' the distant radio-channel for the duration its burning in the atmosphere allowing you to 'count' meteors during the day and periods of bad weather. Sounds too easy! Anyone tried this? If so how did u get on? What freq did u use? What radios would u recommend?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that radio amateurs have tried 'meteor scatter' communication. I don't know how it works now, but in the past they send streams of very fast morse code, from a tape. On the receive side they they taped the incoming and decoded at lower speed later.

From my limited RF knowledge I would suggest a VHF or UHF amateur band, listening out for a beacon station. These beacons (I believe) broadcast a continuous carrier signal with morse identifier.

Someone with more amatuer radio knowledge will probably suggest a 2M or 70cm band setup.

Its a decade or more since I've done this, but I used to use a Yupiteru MVT-7100 in SSB mode to detect pings from European or Irish VHF TV carriers. Frequencies were 48.2502, 53.757, 53.7396, 53.7604, and 55.2604 MHz. I don't know which, if any, of these are still operating.

The antenna was a simple dipole (1.4m elements, insulated Cu wire) in my attic -- but which could also be rolled up to be transported to be used "in the field" on a jury-rigged support on the roof-rack of my car, or anything else suitable that came to hand.

• 2 weeks later...

One of our members at the NLO Meteor radio detection group (SPAM) uses a Yupiteru MVT7100 and 2 lengths of copper pipe and gets ok results.

Honiton 3D Meteor Detection Live Feed

it's nowhere near as sensitive as my set up but certainly records the large reflections.

Apparently the 50Mhz transmitters are closing down all over the place but I believe there is still one in Belgium that is being used.

We use one operating at 149.049.500 mhz in Dijon in France for our detection.

I know that radio amateurs have tried 'meteor scatter' communication. I don't know how it works now, but in the past they send streams of very fast morse code, from a tape. On the receive side they they taped the incoming and decoded at lower speed later.
Yes! that is how it happened in the past ! But more recently (the dreaded)computer generated high speed data streams have taken over, however, as I just posted in another thread before I saw this one it is possible to conduct a very brief (a few seconds) real time audio "conversation" with a distant (UK to Italy for example) station via a meteor ionisation trail.
From my limited RF knowledge I would suggest a VHF or UHF amateur band, listening out for a beacon station. These beacons (I believe) broadcast a continuous carrier signal with morse identifier.

Someone with more amatuer radio knowledge will probably suggest a 2M or 70cm band setup.

Yes, 2m is good, 70cm not quite so, 6m (50MHz) is excellent, as is 70MHz(but not so many stations active on that one)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm looking for some advice.

I've purchased a MVT-7100 scanner but now really confused over what antenna I need. Wanted to go down the 6m 50Mhz route but it seems that these transmitters are being switched off. Would a homemade dipole work? These seem fairly simple to build.

As mentioned in a previous post would the HB9CV Moonraker give good readable results pointed towards Dijon in France at 149.049.500 Mhz??

Thanks in Advance

Howard

(Surbiton Area)

The HB9CV is attached to an ICOM PCR1000 in several of the stations on the SPAM network, mine in Merriott, and the Bridport station, as well as the NLO test station (sometimes offline) This works great on Dijon (GRAVES)

I know that there are few 50mhz signals to pick up from, Portugal and Belgium, but not sure of the coverage of these. If you are in the South of the country I would suggest the HB9CV and Dijon, it's what is giving me great signals here in Somerset.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

:(:)

Ok, brought the HB9CV antenna and have this connected to a Yupiteru MVT-7100 hand scanner via 3 meters of RG-58 coax.

The scanner is set to a frequency of 143.049.0 Mhz (mode USB). I am standing on the first floor bedroom pointing the antenna towards GRAVES Dijon in France, all I am getting is static, no pings. :)

I have checked all the connection for shorts and continuity, everything is fine.

The coax shielding is soldered on to the antenna body, the coax core is soldered onto the variable capacitor solder tag, the other end of the cap was, when received, soldered to the antenna.

Again, all solder connectioned triple checked.

Spectrum lab shows me nothing, I guess if I cant hear a ping I shaw not going to see any signs of a ping in Spectrum Lab!!!

What am I doing wrong :)

Please help.

Thanks

Howard

What am I doing wrong

(Always possible that I'm missing something, but...)

I don't know where you are located but if the Xmitter is below your horizon, you're not going to detect it until it bounces off a meteor train (or sporadic E or similar).

Wait a few days for the Geminids and you should get pings a plenty!

Yep, setup on USB mod.

Turned on the scanner last night, 30 seconds in, PING, signal went right off the scale for a split second. :)

Is there anyway to determine if a ping is a plane or meteor?

Apart from that, not sure if I could hear anything else, listening to static all night, is it possible to go mad :).

I'm sure I could hear very faint pings in the hiss.

I must admit, thought I would here more + be clearer.

Would the signal improve much if I mounted antenna on an old satellite dish support outside on the gutter line?

Add an amplifier or higher gain yagi (7dB) ?

I'm sure I read somewhere that changing the angle of the antenna (formula somewhere) helps or is this more for the 50Mhz setup?

Back to the hiss:D

Archived