Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter - Magnification To View Rings ?

Hi,

With the current excellent visibility of Jupiter in the Southern UK what type of magnification is needed to get a reasoably distinct view of the rings?

As a newbie without a telescope I have been using a pair of low magnification binoculars and think that I can possibly just get a faint outline but possibly wishful thinking on my part?

Thx

Blackos

Jupiter's rings are not visible through amateur telescopes as far as I am aware. I use 150x - 180x with my 120mm ED refractor a get very nice views of it's cloud belts, the great red spot and it's 4 brightest moons. But no rings.

Wait until Saturn is around - you can't miss the rings with that although you will need a scope to see them clearly.

I'm not sure I've ever seen them.. I'm sure Damian Peach would have photographed them if he could.. never seen him do so.

So. Jupiters rings?.. probably need a Keck.

sorry.

Derek

Do we need to distinuish between rings and cloud belts here? Jupiter has cloud belts on its surface but its rings are incredibly faint and are the stuff of the big professional telescopes with CCD detectors. You wouldn't need abnormal magnification - 200x would be fine - but you'd need an unattainable light grasp/f ratio to see them at an eyepiece.

Olly

i just read on wikipedia that jupiter's rings weren't observed until 1979 when voyager 1 arrived. should give some idea of how likely you are to see them with amateur equipment on earth. assuming we are talking about rings, not belts.

Archived